My tetramorium queen has eggs!

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

timeshell

My tetramorium queen has eggs!

Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:52 am

On Thursday, July 15, 2021, I was walking by the river and found what I believe to be a tetramorium queen. She was scurrying across the sidewalk and had already broken off her wings. I had picked up tetramorium queens before who still had their wings on and they always died on me. However, I was more hopeful about this one since she had already broken off her wings.

I didn't bring any containers with me! I did happen to have my airpods with me so I stuck her in one of the slots in the airpod case. This worked just fine and I got her home without incident. I prepared a small test tube for her with maybe 1/4 inch space for her between the cotton plug and the cotton water stopper and put her away in the drawer.

Unfortunately, I'm the type of person who is compelled to check things quite regularly. However, this turned out to be ok so far, because...

Surprise!! Two days after I picked up my tetramorium queen, she already has eggs! YAY! And today, about 4 days later, there are at least 10 eggs in the tube with her. I'm going to try to just leave her alone now and maybe check on her weekly to see how she is doing. But, so far so good!

SYUTEO

Re: My tetramorium queen has eggs!

Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:59 am

Only check her once a week, just put her away in the dark and forget about her and go do other stuff.

timeshell

Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:19 pm

Yeah, it'll come to that. I left her alone for a few days now as I was attending to a new camponotus novaeboracensis queen I stumbled upon on a few days ago. Not long after picking her up I noticed a mite stuck in the joint of her right back leg. More on that in my camponotus novaeboracensis topic.

But, I did check on my tetramorium today and she has a huge pile of eggs now. If I had to guess, I'd have to say at least 30 by now. She definitely isn't happy when I disturb her. So, I'll just be leaving her alone for a while now.

timeshell

Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:30 am

First nanitic has arrived with a number more ready to emerge. The queen is very active every time I take a peek. Whether this is because she is busy or because she has been disturbed I'm not sure. I guess it will be time to prepare for expanding her access for feeding soon.

timeshell

Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:57 pm

This by far has been my most successful colony. The number of eggs/larvae/pupae/workers is beyond counting. There is a decent sized pile in their test tube. I've already had them move once to a new tube when the first one ran out of water. I've been mostly feeding them fruit flies and spiders until recently when I came across a centipede which I also fed them and then this week I've started feeding them meal worms.

SolenopsisKeeper

Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:13 pm

timeshell wrote:
This by far has been my most successful colony. The number of eggs/larvae/pupae/workers is beyond counting. There is a decent sized pile in their test tube. I've already had them move once to a new tube when the first one ran out of water. I've been mostly feeding them fruit flies and spiders until recently when I came across a centipede which I also fed them and then this week I've started feeding them meal worms.
That’s is a HUGE milestone, Congrats! And for me, this is my 400th post and I started in December!
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

AntsAntsAnts

Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:22 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
timeshell wrote:
That’s is a HUGE milestone, Congrats! And for me, this is my 400th post and I started in December!
december 2021? okay. coincidence that's the time I caught 4 polyrhachis queens who are now part of a 11 queen founding colony of polyrhachis
keeping:
all my queens died :(
got a sugar ant colony started :)

SolenopsisKeeper

Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:15 am

AntsAntsAnts wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
timeshell wrote:
december 2021? okay. coincidence that's the time I caught 4 polyrhachis queens who are now part of a 11 queen founding colony of polyrhachis
You are counting your brood before they enclose. If one queen died in the tube and the queens did nothing, mold could kill your queens.

AntsAntsAnts

Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:46 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
AntsAntsAnts wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

You are counting your brood before they enclose. If one queen died in the tube and the queens did nothing, mold could kill your queens.
nah. i check on them and break any fights. no deaths so far!
keeping:
all my queens died :(
got a sugar ant colony started :)

SolenopsisKeeper

Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:28 am

AntsAntsAnts wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:46 am
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
AntsAntsAnts wrote:

nah. i check on them and break any fights. no deaths so far!
That is great! Watch my fire ant queens kill each other at first signs of workers.