Can ants become accustomed to your scent?

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

jjeanamantog

Re: Can ants become accustomed to your scent?

Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:52 am

I think so)))

AntsLuxembourg

Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:00 am

Antloverhuman wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:42 am
What about ants that can see very well. Maybe if u give them food in front of them they will think that you give food to the colony and are important and they will protect u like they do with aphids and mealy bugs :idea:
I'm not sure if there are many know species of ants that have a very good eye sight. Especially since they live mostly under ground / in the dark and don't need to look very far.
So even if they could see good, relative to most ants, I doubt that they would be able to remember you by sight. Mainly because I don't even know if they see in color and if they would recognize you. It can take a long time until they recognize the feeding pattern so I don't say it's completely impossible, however I don't think that it is very likely.
Of course it would be great if they could but I still doubt that there are many candidates for this. I would assume that ants like weaver ants or army ants that build bridges have a better eye sight. But I doubt that it reaches very far.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

Antloverhuman

Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:47 am

I have heard that bull ants use their eyesight instead of pheromones to remember a path. They use stones and twigs as a reference and find their way back home. Well it would depend on the memory of ants if they do actually remember that you give food. I read somewhere that ants can remember things upto three days. If we try, maybe hundreds of generation later we can make ants to evolve and have better eyesight and memory and then you could basically use them as a little protective army :o
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony

AntsLuxembourg

Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:43 am

Antloverhuman wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:47 am
I have heard that bull ants use their eyesight instead of pheromones to remember a path. They use stones and twigs as a reference and find their way back home. Well it would depend on the memory of ants if they do actually remember that you give food. I read somewhere that ants can remember things upto three days. If we try, maybe hundreds of generation later we can make ants to evolve and have better eyesight and memory and then you could basically use them as a little protective army :o
They might also count their steps.
Here is an article talking about this where they mention that ants count their steps to find their way home. They may use some visual queues but they mostly rely on pheromones and step counts.
https://www.livescience.com/871-ants-marching-count-steps.html

Also in regards to this. You can teach a goldfish to expect food each time you ring a bell or when giving a specific signal. It takes time but it can be done. With ants I would say it's much more difficult to breed them to see better. First because they are not like dogs. Dogs have been bread to be good at hunting, protecting, etc. and some have been bread to just look as ugly as possible. But this is possible since we can communicate with dogs and they are able and willing to learn provided they get a treat for doing good boi stuff. :3
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.