identification of insects (not ants)?

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

AM1C39

identification of insects (not ants)?

Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:25 pm

What would be the best website/forum that will help me identify insects that are not ants? I have done some searching but I am not very sure. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]

cjerg9

Re: identification of insects (not ants)?

Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:40 am

If you are trying to identify insects in your area there’s quite a good chance there is a field guide app created for where you live and they can be quite handy. I think I’ve seen some apps that use AI to identify insects aswell. Sometimes you can just look up “[name of insect] identification” and it should come up with websites that are full of photos and species. Such as this website for Australian butterflies http://lepidoptera.butterflyhouse.com.au/butter.html

Hope that helps!

AM1C39

Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:20 am

I was hoping for a website or forum and not really an app. And the website you gave me is not very helpful because I do not live in Australia. Also by the time you answered I identified them as Tricrania sanguinipennis and Dermestes lardarius. I will still try looking for a forum that will help in the future when I need an identification. Thanks for trying thought.
My current colonies:

cjerg9

Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:43 pm

That’s understandable. If your looking for a forum I guess reddit would be your best bet but the replies aren’t always specific and could be a bit time consuming. You may be able to find forums for specific insects but hard to find for all of them. There’s probably a Facebook group too for it. I managed to find this forum if it’s any help. Seems kinda inactive though https://insectnet.proboards.com/board/12/bug-identification

AM1C39

Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:15 pm

I have seen that forum before but wanted to ask this forum first to see if they had anything else. Next time I need an identification (not an ant) I will try that forum. Thanks!
My current colonies: