HARDEST PART

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

AntLove5Ever

HARDEST PART

Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:01 pm

I am currently in the hardest stage of antkeeping. I have to wait on my queen to get workers, and I need to resist the urge to watch her.... Definitely the hardest part.

Martialis

Re: HARDEST PART

Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:02 am

AntLove5Ever wrote:I am currently in the hardest stage of antkeeping. I have to wait on my queen to get workers, and I need to resist the urge to watch her.... Definitely the hardest part.
Yes, I agree. Especially with Formicinae that fly in the fall. :lol:
Keeper of

Selliing:

Rafiredog

Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:15 pm

I am in a painful stage where I don't yet have a queen and it is 50F outside everyday. Maybe I could find some prenelopus impris..

Batspiderfish

Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:24 pm

Rafiredog wrote:I am in a painful stage where I don't yet have a queen and it is 50F outside everyday. Maybe I could find some prenelopus impris..
Prenolepis imparis workers should be active above ground, but this species is the first to have nuptial flights in the spring.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

AntLove5Ever

Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:52 pm

Rafiredog wrote:I am in a painful stage where I don't yet have a queen and it is 50F outside everyday. Maybe I could find some prenelopus impris..

Hey, I found my myrmica queen yesterday, so you can possibly find those guys still.

Rafiredog

Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:39 pm

I am going to head out now and look around quick. not too hopeful but will report what I see.

Antcrisp

Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:44 pm

Hey, I found my myrmica queen yesterday, so you can possibly find those guys still.[/quote]

Where did you find her? Im still in search for my first queen,but its hard out here i feel like im in search of some treasure. Our temp is still around 80's but we can start feeling the chill. I live in the state of Nv,we don't get alot of rain out here.

AntLove5Ever

Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:07 pm

Antcrisp wrote:Hey, I found my myrmica queen yesterday, so you can possibly find those guys still.
Where did you find her? Im still in search for my first queen,but its hard out here i feel like im in search of some treasure. Our temp is still around 80's but we can start feeling the chill. I live in the state of Nv,we don't get alot of rain out here.[/quote]

Under a rock, no eggs or brood. Likely only mated about 10 minutes prior. I checked it twice during the hunt, once at the beginning, no queen, once at the end, queen. Also they fly till november ish if it doesn't get TOO awful cold

Antcrisp

Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:07 am

AntLove5Ever wrote:
Antcrisp wrote:Hey, I found my myrmica queen yesterday, so you can possibly find those guys still.
Where did you find her? Im still in search for my first queen,but its hard out here i feel like im in search of some treasure. Our temp is still around 80's but we can start feeling the chill. I live in the state of Nv,we don't get alot of rain out here.
Under a rock, no eggs or brood. Likely only mated about 10 minutes prior. I checked it twice during the hunt, once at the beginning, no queen, once at the end, queen. Also they fly till november ish if it doesn't get TOO awful cold[/quote]

Lucky!! I really have bad luck with things. But guess ill give it one more week.

AntsNewZealand

Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:03 pm

You guys are soo lucky,
You go looking for queens,
I go looking for one ants or ants :)