Ant species name

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

Post Reply
Mongo319
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:07 am
Location: Romney,indiana

Ant species name

Post: # 12819Post Mongo319
Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:06 pm

How do they go about naming the ants say I go out in my back yard tomorrow and find an ant that has never been discovered how would they name it
Keeper of crematogaster cerasi
Looking for other indiana ant keepers :D

User avatar
Batspiderfish
Posts: 3339
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:47 pm
Location: Maine

Re: Ant species name

Post: # 12821Post Batspiderfish
Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:46 pm

I don't think any of us here are actual myrmecologists, but the genus (i.e. Lasius) would be determined by its relatedness to other ants. The species name would be translated to Greek or Latin and by whoever proves that it is a unique species, describes it, and publishes the findings.

For example: Camponotus (Greek; bent-back) novaeboracensis (Latin; New York)
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

AntsDakota
Posts: 838
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:22 pm
Location: South Dakota

Re: Ant species name

Post: # 36875Post AntsDakota
Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:37 pm

Mongo319 wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:06 pm
How do they go about naming the ants say I go out in my back yard tomorrow and find an ant that has never been discovered how would they name it
Pogonomyrmex was named because of it's beard like structure. Myrmex means ant, so Pogono must mean beard.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

AntsDakota
Posts: 838
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:22 pm
Location: South Dakota

Re: Ant species name

Post: # 36877Post AntsDakota
Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:39 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:46 pm
I don't think any of us here are actual myrmecologists, but the genus (i.e. Lasius) would be determined by its relatedness to other ants. The species name would be translated to Greek or Latin and by whoever proves that it is a unique species, describes it, and publishes the findings.

For example: Camponotus (Greek; bent-back) novaeboracensis (Latin; New York)
So Brachyponera, Hypoponera, Mesoponera, and Psuedoponera are Ponera's closest relatives?
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

User avatar
Batspiderfish
Posts: 3339
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:47 pm
Location: Maine

Re: Ant species name

Post: # 36884Post Batspiderfish
Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:51 pm

AntsDakota wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:39 pm
Batspiderfish wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:46 pm
I don't think any of us here are actual myrmecologists, but the genus (i.e. Lasius) would be determined by its relatedness to other ants. The species name would be translated to Greek or Latin and by whoever proves that it is a unique species, describes it, and publishes the findings.

For example: Camponotus (Greek; bent-back) novaeboracensis (Latin; New York)
So Brachyponera, Hypoponera, Mesoponera, and Psuedoponera are Ponera's closest relatives?
No. I wrote that almost two years ago, but I believe I meant that in the context of a species' name (Genus species), the genus is that of its closest relative and the species is whatever the discoverer names it. You could theoretically discover a new genus, but before that could be determined, you would probably put it with whatever genus it most closely resembled.

In the early days, all ants were grouped together into the genus Formica, and it's not until revisions are made that other genera may differentiate further. Taxonomy is a constant work-in-progress, since there is still so much more to discover about life and that life is evolving as we study it.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

AntsDakota
Posts: 838
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:22 pm
Location: South Dakota

Re: Ant species name

Post: # 36885Post AntsDakota
Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:56 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:51 pm
AntsDakota wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:39 pm
Batspiderfish wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:46 pm
I don't think any of us here are actual myrmecologists, but the genus (i.e. Lasius) would be determined by its relatedness to other ants. The species name would be translated to Greek or Latin and by whoever proves that it is a unique species, describes it, and publishes the findings.

For example: Camponotus (Greek; bent-back) novaeboracensis (Latin; New York)
So Brachyponera, Hypoponera, Mesoponera, and Psuedoponera are Ponera's closest relatives?
No. I wrote that almost two years ago, but I believe I meant that in the context of a species' name (Genus species), the genus is that of its closest relative and the species is whatever the discoverer names it. You could theoretically discover a new genus, but before that could be determined, you would probably put it with whatever genus it most closely resembled.

In the early days, all ants were grouped together into the genus Formica, and it's not until revisions are made that other genera may differentiate further. Taxonomy is a constant work-in-progress, since there is still so much more to discover about life and that life is evolving as we study it.
That's funny to think about. Formica neoniger; Formica invicta; Formica rubra; Formica clavita; Formica pennsylvanicus; Formica gracilipes; Formica longicornis; Formica diversa; Formica barbatus; Formica versicolor; Formica mimicus. :lol:
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

AntsDakota
Posts: 838
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:22 pm
Location: South Dakota

Re: Ant species name

Post: # 36887Post AntsDakota
Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:58 pm

Yet most all species with -ponera have long skinny abdomens, like Ponera.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

User avatar
Batspiderfish
Posts: 3339
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:47 pm
Location: Maine

Re: Ant species name

Post: # 36889Post Batspiderfish
Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:05 pm

AntsDakota wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:58 pm
Yet most all species with -ponera have long skinny abdomens, like Ponera.
RIght! Scientists are infamously bad at coming up with names, so I imagine that as long as something looked to them like Ponera, they could just tag that with a prefix and call it a genus.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest