Ant questions, Please help.

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

twood5

Ant questions, Please help.

Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:55 am

Hi
I hope its ok to ask this here, since you all would know the most about ants.

I've recently started having an invasion of big red fire ants in my home. They've gotten even into my bed while sleeping. They don't appear to care about the kitchen at all just appear in bedrooms and bathrooms.

I do admit i have a phobia of stings which probably fuels this, but should i really be as scared of them as i am? It feels like every time i see one its ready to come kill me.
Do ants swarm after people? Or after pets?
And is there any way to get them to stay outside without a bunch of pesticides?

Hawkeye

Re: Ant questions, Please help.

Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:38 am

twood5 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:55 am
Hi
I hope its ok to ask this here, since you all would know the most about ants.

I've recently started having an invasion of big red fire ants in my home. They've gotten even into my bed while sleeping. They don't appear to care about the kitchen at all just appear in bedrooms and bathrooms.

I do admit i have a phobia of stings which probably fuels this, but should i really be as scared of them as i am? It feels like every time i see one its ready to come kill me.
Do ants swarm after people? Or after pets?
And is there any way to get them to stay outside without a bunch of pesticides?
I think it is unlikely the ants will come out in droves to attack you, and they simply might not have gotten as far as your kitchen yet. You could sprinkle that powder with very sharply edged particles that rip the exoskeleton of the ants apart. (I forget what it is called)