why my queen ant won't eat?

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

acuriousnewbie

why my queen ant won't eat?

Wed May 20, 2020 8:53 am

i caught a wingless queen ant recently... and i think its a black garden ant.she wont eat anything, i gave her fruits,honey,sugar,red worms and whatever i can think of.someone please help me its not the first time i caught an queen ant but it seems that they all just wont move and died.

TomvANTol

Re: why my queen ant won't eat?

Thu May 21, 2020 3:06 pm

you do not need to feed queen ants before they have workers, as they live off the muscle stores used to power their wings. Watch AntsCanada's video on how to make a test tube setup. All they need is a good size water supply and a chamber that they will realize is a good place to lay eggs. Just remember: don't feed, watch AntsCanada's tutorials.

acuriousnewbie

Fri May 22, 2020 10:02 am

TomvANTol wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:06 pm
you do not need to feed queen ants before they have workers, as they live off the muscle stores used to power their wings. Watch AntsCanada's video on how to make a test tube setup. All they need is a good size water supply and a chamber that they will realize is a good place to lay eggs. Just remember: don't feed, watch AntsCanada's tutorials.
She is wingless already when i caught her so im not so sure about that stored energy...Plus i think she ate her eggs because theres only 3.is it possible it only laid 3 eggs? And i saw most people recomands to feed honey to decrease its possibility to eat its own eggs. :? I totally don't know who to follow so i guess ill still put some... better than none at least?

TomvANTol

Fri May 22, 2020 4:06 pm

When wingless, the ant is living off the MUSCLES used to power the wings, that are now gone. Queen ants do not eat in the wild when they are laying eggs. I do not feed my queen but you do you. Sometimes they eat their eggs if they have been disturbed to much. The best thing to do is this. Find the queen, put it into a test tube setup(watch AntsCanada's video) and then put them somewhere dark and do not look at them at all for a while. If your queen is eating it's eggs, then I am not really sure what to do about it, because I am just a newbie myself, but I have done a lot of research. Hope I brought good advice.

acuriousnewbie

Fri May 22, 2020 9:49 pm

TomvANTol wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 4:06 pm
When wingless, the ant is living off the MUSCLES used to power the wings, that are now gone. Queen ants do not eat in the wild when they are laying eggs. I do not feed my queen but you do you. Sometimes they eat their eggs if they have been disturbed to much. The best thing to do is this. Find the queen, put it into a test tube setup(watch AntsCanada's video) and then put them somewhere dark and do not look at them at all for a while. If your queen is eating it's eggs, then I am not really sure what to do about it, because I am just a newbie myself, but I have done a lot of research. Hope I brought good advice.
Thank you very much. i think i should not bother it anymore

TomvANTol

Mon May 25, 2020 1:14 pm

Yeah, good luck. Remember that not everything will always work out. You have to learn from your mistakes. I have had some failed queens in the past, and they have helped me come up with new ways to find success. If your queen dies, just keep trying.

QJH2023

Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:31 pm

your ants are lsius right? if so do not feed queens this is only good in semi claustral and camponotus and other ants that I have not mentioned generally if they stress easily don't feed queens especially formica
keeper of: 41xCamponotus novaeboracensis, Crematogaster spp. and unidentified species and tapinoma sessile