Which species of ants should I get?

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

SammyG06

Which species of ants should I get?

Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:55 am

Hello, I have been researching a lot about ant-keeping and want to try it in the near future. I Have seen that camponotus pennsylvanicus ants are a good species of ants for beginners, as well as Tetramorium caespitum. I am torn between the two species and I want your opinions for which ant species to begin my ant colony.

(Keep in mind I live in the USA in New Jersey so, these ants are also perfect because of that)

BluMoon

Re: Which species of ants should I get?

Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:23 am

If I were you, I would probably watch the AC tutorials on them (or rather their respective genus) and then do an eeny meeny miny moe :D

I am kinda a beginner as well -i have been in this hobby for a while, but no success just yet-(currently trying to raise a colony of strobe ants) and so the kinds of things I took into consideration were mainly the size of the ants, i.e. how likely are they to escape? and also whether the colony would grow super quick.

Hopefully somebody with more experience comes to give advice :)

Best wishes, BluMoon
Keeper of 1 x Strobe Ant Queen + Larvae + 0 x Workers :D

CabboAntsGuy

Re: Which species of ants should I get?

Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:11 am

Camponotus take longer to develop, but are all around a bit easier in my opinion, I have three.
Keep:
3 camponotus pennsylvanicus
2 formica subsericea
The Camponotus Crew! https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=15267
Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566