Moderator: ooper01

Sharinagnpanda

My Tetramorium queen just died along with the whole colony

Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:53 pm

What do i do to clean them out?

TheCrazyAntLady

Re: My Tetramorium queen just died along with the whole colony

Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:01 pm

That would probably be a good idea. Just make sure that they are dead and not just hibernating. Heat them up very very slightly, because if they are still alive, you don't want to burn them to death. If they are dead, dump them out, then clean the test tube with soap and warm water. I would put rubbing alcohol in the tube and shake it to get it all over the tube if you think the ants got sick. Let it dry completely (I usually just put them upside down on a rack and let them air dry) before putting anything else in.
Hello from the backwoods of KY!

Currently keeping:
Tetramorrium Immigrans x1
Aphaenogaster Picea x2
Aphaenogaster Rudis x1
Lasius Americanus x1
Crematogaster Cerasi x1
Unknown x1

ajjustin

Re: My Tetramorium queen just died along with the whole colony

Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:58 am

Tetramorium caespitum is the host for many parasitic ant species. The most common is Teleutomyrmex schneideri. The T. schneideri queen lives with the T. caespitum queen, often sitting on the pavement ant queen's back in order to remain within the nest.

It has been speculated, and there is some evidence, that Tetramorium caespitum is a complex of identical species. It could be that polygynous behavior is associated with certain species within this complex or under certain environmental conditions.