Finally started my dream!

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

DAntKeeping

Finally started my dream!

Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:09 am

Hey all. I've finally started my dream hobby; ant keeping!

Recently (4 weeks ago) I caught my first queen, a Iridomyrmex bicknelli. Which I was really happy to learn was native to Australia.
Currently she's in a test-tube setup, I wasn't sure if I had pushed the cotton ball into the water far enough, but she hasn't died yet so I'm assuming she's getting enough water :D Her current first batch are in (I think) the larvae stage. I'm really excited and have bought extra test-tubes for when the colony gets big, just until I can move them into the large formicarium I bought 2 years ago, back when I knew hardly anything about ants. I'm eventually planning to become a member of the GAN project in Western Australia, since there isn't many places you can buy queen ants here because of the strict live import rules regarding ants. With the only real places I know of being WA Antz.

Thanks for having me guys and gals,
Ripley

donaldmcdonald

Re: Finally started my dream!

Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:42 am

Ant keeping allows you to observe behaviors within ants which would otherwise go unnoticed. In a formicarium (ant farm) you have the privilege of clearly seeing all the happenings within the ants' nest. All ants belong to extended families and carry their prey home to share. Unselfishness is the rule.