Hi ac fam. New here.

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

ZanSensei

Hi ac fam. New here.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:05 pm

Hi guys. I'm Zan. I'm from ontario canada and I have become very interested in keeping ants but I am not ready to dive head first.

I have a big fascination for red ants. Yellow ants. The brighter and more transparent the better!

I'm looking for a suggestion! I wish to keep red or yellow polygyne ants. I love the idea of having many queens having babies. It's not that I'm looking to grow a colony as fast as I can I just believe in redundancy and a more diverse set of genetics. So I would really like something I could order a couple of queens of and if I find new gan farmers with it I could order new genetics. I do want something native to my part of the world. I know I'm so picky!

Just some random details that might help you guys, I'm a complete novice and I have a long way to go before I ordered.

I really would like to set a white/light brown sand as the top so they are a little easier to see.
Diet isn't important, nor is size. I am new so something crazy aggressive might not be my best start. I am a horticulturist, daily and weekly different kinds of maintenance is the normally to me so harder up keep isn't an issue but I really dont want something that takes to much work.

I would love to hear everyone's suggestion and I am more then happy to read links related to anything you think I might find interesting.

antnest8

Re: Hi ac fam. New here.

Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:22 pm

A species that you might be interested in is the Winter ant or Prenolepis Imparis. They are highly polygenous, they are calm, don't sting and they have really cool repletes that give them the name of the False Honey-pot Ant. To find them look around outside when in the early stages of spring. They usually fly on the first few days that get above 70 degrees.
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

antnest8

Re: Hi ac fam. New here.

Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:23 pm

Here is the Ant Care Sheet for them, (see more from the link in my signature)
Prenolepis imparis
Claustral-fully
Queen Size- medium
Diet- honey, sugar water, worms, some plants sap, fruit
Care level- moderate to easy
Polygynous-yes
Aggressive-no
Natural nesting materials-dirt, woodchips, leaflitter
Colony size- medium to small (1,000-10,000)
Moister level-medium to high
Nuptial flights- first flyers and will fly from early march to late April.
Escape artists- no
Parasitic species-no
Polymorphic-no
Strong bite-no
Formic acid-none that affects humans
Sting-none
Special care- ants like the cooler weather so about 80 degrees at max down to 40 degrees and are very sensitive to distubences in the founding stage
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum