Found Camponotus Cerasi while splitting firewood!

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

Charlesmaximus

Found Camponotus Cerasi while splitting firewood!

Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:30 pm

Hello everyone,

Today I found a small colony of Camponotus Cerasi (I believe) whilst splitting firewood. I captured the Queen along with several eggs and workers and at least one Alate. I was just wondering if they will be alright in the glass tube I put them in, cotton ball stuffed in one end and the other end taped shut. I left them out in my garage (unheated) since they were hibernating inside the wood already. They should be okay out there sleeping until my new formicarium arrives correct?

Thanks!

Charlesmaximus

NKantsalberta

Re: Found Camponotus Cerasi while splitting firewood!

Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:48 pm

Charlesmaximus wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:30 pm
Hello everyone,

Today I found a small colony of Camponotus Cerasi (I believe) whilst splitting firewood. I captured the Queen along with several eggs and workers and at least one Alate. I was just wondering if they will be alright in the glass tube I put them in, cotton ball stuffed in one end and the other end taped shut. I left them out in my garage (unheated) since they were hibernating inside the wood already. They should be okay out there sleeping until my new formicarium arrives correct?

Thanks!

Charlesmaximus
Hello, yes they should be okay. That being said, you should ensure the cotton is moist in case they have a break in hibernation, 1 for hydration, and 2 they need a small amount of moisture for the eggs to survive the winter.

Best of luck!
Raising 3x Camponotus novaeboracensis, 2x Formica sp, 2x Lasius sp.