Strumigenys in New York!

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

MCWren

Strumigenys in New York!

Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:17 pm

AntWeb and antwiki both say that there are no Strumigenys in New York. However, I found this on Long Island!

Now give me scholarships!

Batspiderfish

Re: Strumigenys in New York!

Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:15 pm

Great find! Looks like a queen, too?

Antweb will only record a species as being present if they have a sample of it, which can be very misleading, and Antwiki is about as reliable as any other wiki (see the picture of the Lasius umbratus dealate on the Lasius nearcticus page, for example). For understanding distribution, antmaps.org is a much better resource. According to them, there are six Strumigenys spp. in New York. :D

I don't know of anybody who has kept these ants successfully, so look for tips in the 'keeping ants' sections of as many forums as you can. Antdude's yuku forum would be best, as it is much older than AntsCanada or Formiculture.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

MCWren

Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:08 am

Batspiderfish wrote:Great find! Looks like a queen, too?

Antweb will only record a species as being present if they have a sample of it, which can be very misleading, and Antwiki is about as reliable as any other wiki (see the picture of the Lasius umbratus dealate on the Lasius nearcticus page, for example). For understanding distribution, antmaps.org is a much better resource. According to them, there are six Strumigenys spp. in New York. :D

I don't know of anybody who has kept these ants successfully, so look for tips in the 'keeping ants' sections of as many forums as you can. Antdude's yuku forum would be best, as it is much older than AntsCanada or Formiculture.
Yeah, it's queen. However, it's around 2mm, which is abt the size of a Tetramorium nanitic. If it ever gets workers, I'll try to feed it small springtails.

MCWren

Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:41 am

Batspiderfish wrote:Great find! Looks like a queen, too?

Do you know what species it is?

Batspiderfish

Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:32 pm

I don't have experience with Strumigenys. I'd probably also need more and better photos.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.