Monomorium Minimum

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

AntNewb

Monomorium Minimum

Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:50 pm

I have tiny black ants IN my kitchen wall. Almost positive it's monomorium minimum from my research on Google lol.

What are the odds of a queen wondering out of the wall, if I was to make a habit of food and water (feeding grounds of sorts) next to where they come out of the wall?

Hawkeye

Re: Monomorium Minimum

Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:32 am

AntNewb wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:50 pm
I have tiny black ants IN my kitchen wall. Almost positive it's monomorium minimum from my research on Google lol.

What are the odds of a queen wondering out of the wall, if I was to make a habit of food and water (feeding grounds of sorts) next to where they come out of the wall?
In general I'd say the chances are slim. They've got a perfectly safe spot inside your wall and you offering food will only increase the value of that prime real estate. It's all about location, location, location. You could try to capture the ants of course with traps like Mickey did in one of his videos

Antsanyone

Re: Monomorium Minimum

Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:24 pm

I would also let you know, M. minimum queens only live for about a year or two, so your colony would only last about that long. Also, they are impossible to keep contained... I speak from experience... the workers like investigating sneakers, as it turns out. :roll:
Wannabe entomologist
Current colonies:
Campnotus sp.
Dream ants:
Carebara castanea, Cephalotes, Atta texana
Calyptomyrmex, Discothyrea mixta, Melissotarsus spp.
Proatta, Rhytidoponera aspersa, Gigantiops ... actually, most ants.