Looking for some stuff (Please read)

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

WalneyReptiles

Looking for some stuff (Please read)

Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:54 pm

Hi there

first things first, sorry if this is in the wrong place or not allowed

But i would like to know if anyone has any ant stuff e.g nests, feeders, test tubes etc.... that they no longer need

Would anyone consider helping me out by sending me there old bits and peices if i were to pay postage and a small fee?

Im new to the hobby and im struggling to find stuff to add to my collection i only get £317 a month and would like to expand.

has anybody got a way to help, this would be much appriciated!! thanks Josh.

Hawkeye

Re: Looking for some stuff (Please read)

Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:13 am

Hey Josh,

I dont have any gear to share and even if I did, sending it from the Netherlands would be impractical. What I can offer is some tips:

- visit your local florist and get friendly with them. They're bound to have some tubes, and might let you have a couple

- have a look on eBay or similar sites. There's plenty of people who start out in the hobby of fish keeping, but end it because it's not for them. Some are giving away their aquarium for free. Wich is perfect for a natural setup

- go to thriftstores, garage sales etc. If you use a some imagination there's lots of creative solutions.

WalneyReptiles

Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:43 am

Hawkeye wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:13 am
Hey Josh,

I dont have any gear to share and even if I did, sending it from the Netherlands would be impractical. What I can offer is some tips:

- visit your local florist and get friendly with them. They're bound to have some tubes, and might let you have a couple

- have a look on eBay or similar sites. There's plenty of people who start out in the hobby of fish keeping, but end it because it's not for them. Some are giving away their aquarium for free. Wich is perfect for a natural setup

- go to thriftstores, garage sales etc. If you use a some imagination there's lots of creative solutions.
Thanks for your Reply, thats very helpful information Thanks! I guess this forum isnt to busy at the momment as you seem to be the only person that reply's, has the ant keeping hobby gone down hill in the past few years?

Hawkeye

Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:48 am

There are loads of active people in the forum, check out our Camponotus Crew thread for instance. There are so many new topics daily that it is hard to keep up

Glowbug1236

Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:46 pm

I helped a friend start his with a fertile princess, small mason jar (for canning), a plastic bottle cap, a bit of dirt and sticks, and some moss scraped off a tree.
So i give this example, because my own colony came in a rotten stick, and had a dozen workers, and i made a bit larger jar for them.
Im kindof a mason jar guy! Lol
Also because the one i made for him was a lot smaller and minimal.

The test tubes seem like a great way to get the colony large enough, and im sure "eager" enough, to move into a larger habitat. Also you can also view the progress and tend to them easy.
But it can be done other ways too, for very cheap.
A small water bottle with cotton stuffed in the end? Not glamorous, but doable.

I can explain the jar method for a mini-habitat if you want. Just let me know. The trick is creating two climate zones in a tiny space one dry and warm, and the other cooler and more moist, and the ants locate between. And air flow.

Anyway, im new here too, and have noticed the same: one guy bouncing around replying to posts, and others sticking to themselves.
Not sure if this is accurate, as im new, and im really hoping that is not the case. Because "clicky" forums stink.
A suggestion would be a better meet and greet.
My reception was nearly non-existent.

I really hope this forum does well, because I'm very excited to finally have an ant colony, and the people in my life will just never understand!
Lol

WalneyReptiles

Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:07 am

Glowbug1236 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:46 pm
I helped a friend start his with a fertile princess, small mason jar (for canning), a plastic bottle cap, a bit of dirt and sticks, and some moss scraped off a tree.
So i give this example, because my own colony came in a rotten stick, and had a dozen workers, and i made a bit larger jar for them.
Im kindof a mason jar guy! Lol
Also because the one i made for him was a lot smaller and minimal.

The test tubes seem like a great way to get the colony large enough, and im sure "eager" enough, to move into a larger habitat. Also you can also view the progress and tend to them easy.
But it can be done other ways too, for very cheap.
A small water bottle with cotton stuffed in the end? Not glamorous, but doable.

I can explain the jar method for a mini-habitat if you want. Just let me know. The trick is creating two climate zones in a tiny space one dry and warm, and the other cooler and more moist, and the ants locate between. And air flow.

Anyway, im new here too, and have noticed the same: one guy bouncing around replying to posts, and others sticking to themselves.
Not sure if this is accurate, as im new, and im really hoping that is not the case. Because "clicky" forums stink.
A suggestion would be a better meet and greet.
My reception was nearly non-existent.

I really hope this forum does well, because I'm very excited to finally have an ant colony, and the people in my life will just never understand!
Lol
i know **** what you mean GloBug, the setup i have for now will do, but i like to plan ahead sorta like a dooms day prepper aha, the people in my life dont get it either, i keep all my reptiles and ants because it help tons with my depression, gives me a sence on purpose if you get what i mean. i look forward to reading some of your posts if i spot them ;)

Hawkeye

Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:17 am

What do you mean by a clicky forum? And seeing as people with very different backgrounds and goals join this server (new - experienced - interested in natural setup or particular species - etc.) I am curious how you would want to provide a personalised welcome to the forum? Not saying it's a bad idea, but I am having trouble visualising what you mean.

Glowbug1236

Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:01 am

Hawkeye wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:17 am
What do you mean by a clicky forum? And seeing as people with very different backgrounds and goals join this server (new - experienced - interested in natural setup or particular species - etc.) I am curious how you would want to provide a personalised welcome to the forum? Not saying it's a bad idea, but I am having trouble visualising what you mean.
What i mean by clicky forum is that forums in general become what many social groups become. Unfortunately. They become socially stratified, with less value given to quality content. Simply put, The quality of content goes down because people with good info and questions are ignored, and prestige is gained in a way that veers away from relevant content.
Not an indictment of this forum. Just hoping that was not the case, given that some telltale signs seem apparent.
So the personalized welcome, is a new members thread in which new members can introduce themselves. This gives some veteran members the opportunity to meet them, and help them with suggestions on how to have the best experience with the site, and the hobby.
It is very successful!
As an example: at a site that I really like, sharprazorpalace dot com, (I'm a straight razor shaver) :) they have a thread for this. They have members from nearly all countries, and backgrounds, who tend to get along well.
Newbies introduce themselves, and then longtime members say hello and give excellent advice, and also give the newbies a feeling of comradery. This is important. It is vital to a thriving forum.
Just a suggestion.
Ant keeping is not huge. But it is alive and growing. Also it has members who i think feel very unified with one another because of a number of factors, one of which is obscurity.

Only one of my friends shows any interest in my ants.
So i am here!
I really like watching AntsCanada youtube videos, he is well spoken, is positive, and presents great material! Also he seems like a great person.
Im a construction worker by day. Loud, hard work, with tough dudes.. i get home and my ants calm me, they take a thoughtful delicate approach to care for.
Anyway im rambling!
Have a great week my friends!

Glowbug1236

Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:18 am

WalneyReptiles wrote:
Hi there

But i would like to know if anyone has any ant stuff e.g nests, feeders, test tubes etc.... that they no longer need

Would anyone consider helping me out by sending me there old bits and peices if i were to pay postage and a small fee?

Im new to the hobby and im struggling to find stuff to add to my collection i only get £317 a month and would like to expand.

Hey Josh,
Im sorry that i hijacked the thread, not my intention, sometimes i get a bit chatty!
Im gonna figure out this picture issue, and post some pics. Maybe we can figure out what you want to make, what's available to you, and how to do it best.
Im not an expert, but have been figuring out how to make a very small and stable environment in these jars. My current one is about the size of a soda can, a bit wider. They will be moving to another larger jar soon.
Probably a big enough size to have the lower half a fish pond with a single beta or some mosquito fish? After that, i think any large jar will be too small and I'll need to move them to a typical aquarium size.

WalneyReptiles

Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:39 pm

Glowbug1236 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:18 am
WalneyReptiles wrote:
Hi there

Hey Josh,
Im sorry that i hijacked the thread, not my intention, sometimes i get a bit chatty!
Im gonna figure out this picture issue, and post some pics. Maybe we can figure out what you want to make, what's available to you, and how to do it best.
Im not an expert, but have been figuring out how to make a very small and stable environment in these jars. My current one is about the size of a soda can, a bit wider. They will be moving to another larger jar soon.
Probably a big enough size to have the lower half a fish pond with a single beta or some mosquito fish? After that, i think any large jar will be too small and I'll need to move them to a typical aquarium size.
Its fine GlowBug, at least theres somthink for me to read, your very good with your writing!! i used to work in construction myself but im more of a mechanic, i can do just about anythink not to sound big headed or anythink but im usually stripping motorbikes down and rebuilding them or looking after my reptiles etc... A jar never thought of that good thinking i will have to have a look for these photos you are trying to put up :D Thanks again GlowBug!!