Nest using rigid PVC foam sheets

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

JckCdt

Nest using rigid PVC foam sheets

Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:04 pm

Hi guys,

I was thinking to carve a new nest for my lasius niger with a cnc in rigid white PVC foam sheets, like ******. In the same way as acrylic nests are made.
Do you see any problem that could occur using such a material ? Toxicity, robustness, cleaning ...

Thanks in advance for your advice

Hawkeye

Re: Nest using rigid PVC foam sheets

Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:58 pm

JckCdt wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:04 pm
Hi guys,

I was thinking to carve a new nest for my lasius niger with a cnc in rigid white PVC foam sheets, like ******. In the same way as acrylic nests are made.
Do you see any problem that could occur using such a material ? Toxicity, robustness, cleaning ...

Thanks in advance for your advice
Well if I understand it correctly those are pvc plates with hard sides and foam in between. The foam is the tricky part, as your ants will be likely to try and dig into it. Now I am unfamiliar with the process involved in making these plates, or which materials are used other than the pvc, but I can imagine there are industrial adhesives and or hardening agents involved? I am just guessing here of course, but I'd say that might cause some toxicity problems?

JckCdt

Re: Nest using rigid PVC foam sheets

Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:42 am

Hello Hawkeye,

Thank you for your feedback.

Actually, ****** is only composed by PVC foam (see link here under). So i think there shouldn't be any adhesives involved. Regarding the hardening agent, I have no idea.

The foam is quite dense (500 kg/m³) and hard (>50 Shore D). I hope it will be enough to contain the ants (it will also depend on the species I guess).

Link to ****** datasheet :
https://www.thyssenkrupp-plastics.be/fileadmin/media/initial_upload/Downloads/PDF%20NL/Reclame/FOREXclassic_nl_07.pdf