Southeast asian paludarium

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

antnest8

Re: Southeast asian paludarium

Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:33 am

The humitidy won't kill the colony (unless they're under water ;) ) but you might want a log or a bit of dry soil for them. The colony will natrually seek the best humitidy area.
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

MikeCzajson

Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:08 am

Alright then, it is decided, the carpenter ants win :D there's still a lot of research waiting for me but now I'm one step closer to realizing the project :D thank you everyone for your help, what a great forum :D

antnest8

Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:53 am

Your welcome and good luck! Try to get a wild colony with a queen if you want to skip the long and hard founding process. But if you find rasing a colony from scratch fun there are several scources that can help.

Once again, good luck! :D :D
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

Hawkeye

Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:14 am

You're more than welcome to join our Camponotus Crew (see my signature) if you want to exchange tips/tricks/ideas with other ant keepers.

MikeCzajson

Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:05 am

Sorry guys, it's me and my worries again. What do you think of adding camponotus nicobarensis into the paludarium ? As far as I read they are smaller and more calm than the japonicus, but most of the sources say that they prefer low humidity level what makes me a problem because it'll be high humidity tropical forest paludarium. It's rather impossible to make one side very dry but what if I burry a formicarium made for them that'll hold dry soil inside ? Do you think it'll work or is that not necessary and the ants will easily live in high humidity level ?

Hawkeye

Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:35 am

MikeCzajson wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:05 am
Sorry guys, it's me and my worries again. What do you think of adding camponotus nicobarensis into the paludarium ? As far as I read they are smaller and more calm than the japonicus, but most of the sources say that they prefer low humidity level what makes me a problem because it'll be high humidity tropical forest paludarium. It's rather impossible to make one side very dry but what if I burry a formicarium made for them that'll hold dry soil inside ? Do you think it'll work or is that not necessary and the ants will easily live in high humidity level ?
Isn't that the ants species which builds their nest inside an ant plant? And if I am not mistaken they like 50 - 70 percent humidity?

MikeCzajson

Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:24 am

Yeah I'm sorry my mistake. Every Polish source I've read said they need low humidity but after watching some videos of ant keepers from other countries I know they like the humidity level high.

Hawkeye

Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:01 pm

MikeCzajson wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:24 am
Yeah I'm sorry my mistake. Every Polish source I've read said they need low humidity but after watching some videos of ant keepers from other countries I know they like the humidity level high.
No problem, that's what the forum is for. Hey, I assume you will have some automated rain/mist system in mind right? If you set that up to rain in the evenings (which is common nearer the equator) you can have somewhat lower humidity during the day, followed by higher humidity in the evening and at night. Which is actually what happens in nature as well, water evaporated during the days comes back as rainfall...

MikeCzajson

Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:17 pm

I thought of designing an automatic raining system that would rain at every evening and morning for a few minutes as the sun (lamp) comes up and sets down and the mist coming from the water part to the land for all night. Also I'm thinking of some night lighting imitating the stars during the night that won't disturb the animals during the night but will allow me to watch the night creatures doing their things. I want this setup to be as natural as it is possible, basically I want to close part of Southeast Asian rain forest in the glass tank. BTW if anyone does not agree about the species we picked for this paludarium project please comment, I'm open for your suggestions about a species that fits this setup better than camponotus nicobarensis.

lankylvolug

Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:04 pm

I thought of trap jaws but as far as I know they unfortunately do have strong stingers.