Incubator

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

AntsDakota

Incubator

Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:11 pm

I am going to buy an incubator originally designed for chicken eggs to heat my ants with, instead of a heating cable. This way I can see the temperature they are at, and control it. I plan to keep them at at least 85 degrees F. (29 C.) Do you think 90 degrees (32 C.) would be too hot for them?
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

RickByers

Re: Incubator

Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:00 pm

I just bought this temperature controller: https://www.amazon.ca/Inkbird-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat-Thermostats/dp/B07PW841PR. I plug my heating cable into it and can monitor and control temperature from my phone. I just got it set up, but it seems perfect so far. A nice thing about this setup is you can still have a temperature gradient so the ants can tell you if they find it too hot (crowding away from the heat) or too cold (crowding near it). 29-32C sounds too hot to me from what I've read, but I'm brand new to ant keeping.

Hawkeye

Re: Incubator

Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:06 pm

room temperature is about 20/21 degrees. At 32 you'd be wearing shorts and flipflops and probably prefer to remain in the shade... So I am guessing your ants won't care too much for the heat either, but that depends on the species of course.