Nesting

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

Dann28

Nesting

Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:58 pm

My ant colony hasnt been too great... their numbers have been the same for a few months (including winter) and much of their trash is in the nest. They pile their dead outside but their trash is in the nest. Now that i realize it, their nest is a bit big. And as in big i mean my ant colony only takes up 1 chamber out of an estimate of 15 or above. They have tons of brood and the workers are fine. I did a few counts yesterday and i have around 27-29 ants in total. They have a pretty big brood pile also. I know that ants pile up their trash and dead in their nest if it is too big. Their trash is in the nest but they put their dead outside. I am very confused and in my best efforts of trying to find infornation, i have ended up here. If someone can help it will be much appreciated.
Im still a beginner :D .
-Camponatus Clarithorax /w 2 queens

Dann28

Re: Nesting

Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:58 pm

Sorry if i repeated some things, im just sort of worried about my colony...

Hunter36o

Wed May 01, 2019 5:13 am

Well to be honest you kinda answered it for your self. The nest is way too big if only one chamber is being used.
The fact you have a grave site and the number have seemed consistent plus there is plenty of brood would suggest that their reproduction and mortality are at the same rate.

Try examining the nest and colony a little closer. Do a little checklist to find out:
Is the temp to high or low?
Is the space freaking out the colony?
Are they eating properly?
Are new eggs being produced? (If the queen is stressed she will stop laying eggs)
Is it too bright for them in the nest?

Another consideration is are you bothering them too much? We as humans have this habit that when a pet is not doing well we consistently check on them to make sure this is okay. However in the inverts world like ants and tarantulas this is actually doing more harm then good. Unhappy dogs need cuddles and attention, unhappy ants need to be fed fresh suger/ honey and a source of protein and then left completely alone in the dark for at least 24 hours to reduce stress.

A nother trick if your willing is to put some digging media in their outworld but spread it out so they cannot nest in the outworld. This will encourage the ants to gather that media and bring to the nest. If they feel the nest is too big, the digging media will give them the freedom to change up the nest to a more comfortable layout.

Hope this helps.
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

Dann28

Wed May 08, 2019 4:26 pm

Yes, thank you

WillWithAnts

Wed May 08, 2019 10:55 pm

Hunter36o wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 5:13 am
Another trick if your willing is to put some digging media in their outworld but spread it out so they cannot nest in the outworld. This will encourage the ants to gather that media and bring to the nest. If they feel the nest is too big, the digging media will give them the freedom to change up the nest to a more comfortable layout.

Hope this helps.
What a fantastic idea!

AntsDakota

Sat May 11, 2019 6:06 pm

I keep my small Camponotus colony in a cork nest. Although instead of covering it up or putting them in a closet, I buried their nest in sand (the nest is inside the out world). I am fairly certain they will not nest in the sand, for this colony gets VERY attached to their nest, no matter what its condition (I had a nightmare trying to move them out of their grimy, moldy test tube!).
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25