Moderator: ooper01

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Trap jaw queen ant died

Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:25 pm

SYUTEO wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:34 am
BugBoy wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:45 am
Hey guys, apologies for the late reply. Hope this message finds y'all well! The colony is no longer with me but I remember they accepted the new queen! :)
Well, a very late update but good! Unfortunately I think everyone who replied to your post are no longer active on this forum, not sure if they quit antkeeping or left to a different forum, only a few users are actually active here. Have you got a new colony now?
I’ll be following this journal and/or any new journals in the ACAF
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

BugBoy

Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:40 am

SYUTEO wrote:
BugBoy wrote:
Hey guys, apologies for the late reply. Hope this message finds y'all well! The colony is no longer with me but I remember they accepted the new queen! :)
Well, a very late update but good! Unfortunately I think everyone who replied to your post are no longer active on this forum, not sure if they quit antkeeping or left to a different forum, only a few users are actually active here. Have you got a new colony now?
I am currently only keeping a colony of harpegnathos venator. Fascinating hunting ants for anyone who wants to try something more interesting after trap jaws!!
Keeper of:
Pseudoneoponera rufipes
Odontoponera denticulata

SYUTEO

Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:57 am

BugBoy wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:40 am
SYUTEO wrote:
BugBoy wrote:
I am currently only keeping a colony of harpegnathos venator. Fascinating hunting ants for anyone who wants to try something more interesting after trap jaws!!
That's my dream species! I've always wanted to keep a colony of them but I can't find one, not even a worker. How long is their growth rate? Heard it takes months.

BugBoy

Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:07 pm

They are really beautiful ants and are a must-have in any ant collection! Eggs take around 20-30 days to hatch, larvae take close to 3 weeks to pupate and pupa takes around a month to emerge. Overall takes nearly 3 months from egg to worker
Keeper of:
Pseudoneoponera rufipes
Odontoponera denticulata

AntsAntsAnts

Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:21 pm

AntsDakota wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 6:12 pm
BugBoy wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:21 am
Hi there
I have a trap jaw ant colony of about 10-20 workers. However, their queen died recently :cry: . Does anyone know if they will produce a gamergate or a new queen? Also, will they accept a foreign queen ant as their own queen ant so that their colony will not die off? Thanks!
There are very few ant species capable of producing a gamergate (which excludes Odontomachus). No ant colony can produce a new queen, and they will likely attack another queen you may introduce to them. I’m sorry, but you will need to find another queen and start over. (If your colony has any brood left, perhaps you could brood boost the new queen.)
black crazy ants. ahem. inbreeding in a nutshell... though the colony might not have alates considering it has 10-20 workers
keeping:
all my queens died :(
got a sugar ant colony started :)