Capturing Wild Colony

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

harvesterant

Capturing Wild Colony

Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:45 pm

I am not just trying to be impatient. There is a wild colony of ants in my kitchen, and my family wants to poison it. Is there any way of extracting the queen ant to capture her, for example something that will make the colony relocate in a short space of time? Digging the colony up is not a choice, it is situated under some tiles that cannot be temporarily moved.

Hunter36o

Re: Capturing Wild Colony

Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:43 am

If you can find the entrances to the nest block of as many as you can and if possible leave two open. One entrance will be for your trap of choice and the second will be used for driving the ants out.
When you have that done use a lemon and water mixture and pour it into one entrance, leave it for a few seconds so it drains into the nest and repeat this a few times. If you only have the one nest entrance be a bit lighter on the lemon water each time you pour some in so the ants can actually escape. This will cause the nest environment to become unsuitable for the ants and brood and it will force them to relocate which will give you the opportunity to catch the queen, brood and some workers.

Good luck.
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

harvesterant

Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:07 pm

Thank you, I will try that. Are there any other ways to make the colony relocate?

harvesterant

Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:18 pm

The method mentioned did not seem to work. The ants did not relocate because of lemon juice. Are there any other ways I could make them relocate?