How can I get my single queen with no brood or workers to become active

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

DippinDeep

How can I get my single queen with no brood or workers to become active

Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:03 am

My queen has no brutal workers and she is very in active just sitting in her aunt farm pretty much doing nothing what can I do to get her active and to start laying brewed

AntsDakota

Re: How can I get my single queen with no brood or workers to become active

Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:31 pm

DippinDeep wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:03 am
My queen has no brutal workers and she is very in active just sitting in her aunt farm pretty much doing nothing what can I do to get her active and to start laying brewed
She is most likely getting ready for hibernation if you live in a temperate region. Then there is nothing you can do, and it is best to give her what she wants- cold.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

Hunter36o

Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:47 am

It would help if your location was not just a bunch of numbers. Having your location on Ur profile will allow us to answer SOME questions with a little more accuracy when we know the area your ants are from.

Like Dekota said it could be getting herself ready for the winter season.
If she does not need to hibernate, she could be too exposed. You said she is in an ant farm? If she is not in a test tube or similar set up, you could have given her too much space and she is not comfortable in her current set up to lay eggs. Ants, including semi claustral queen's need a tightish chamber that has just enough space for the queen to turn around comfortably in to feel comfortable enough to start laying eggs.

Hope this helps.
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

antnest8

Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:47 pm

It's a zip code. according to google he lives in ALABAMA. Your queen is most likely in this state because in nature your queen would be in a little hole underground doing nothing other than laying and taking care of ants. Just be patient. I could take 2 week to 4 months for a queen to get her first workers depending on the species.
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

Hunter36o

Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:03 am

What is Alabama's weather like this time of year. Is it a hot state all year round or will ants need to hibernate there?
Sorry if this seems like a stupid question but I honestly do not know.
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

antnest8

Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:42 am

since it's next to Texas and Florida and have fire ants there it definitely has no hibernating ants.
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

Hunter36o

Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:04 am

Ah okay makes sense. I just was not sure since I'm not familiar with all states weather lol.

That in mind all I can think off now is Dippin might be bothering her too much or as per my previous point she has way too much space and is not comfortable.