Lasius social parasite

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

AntsDakota

Lasius social parasite

Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:35 pm

I found a Lasius social parasite queen that I believe to be Lasius claviger. I am hoping to acquire a Lasius colony from a friend to start the colony.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

ClashOwenBash

Re: Lasius social parasite

Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:38 pm

AntsDakota wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:35 pm
I found a Lasius social parasite queen that I believe to be Lasius claviger. I am hoping to acquire a Lasius colony from a friend to start the colony.
(*slightly jealous*)
Ant-keeper going into his 4th year of loving ants!

Hunter36o

Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:18 am

I'm 50-50 on getting a future parasite queen. Like it is perfectly natural for them to take over existing small colonies but I'm torn at the idea of doing it myself just to add a new species to the ranks :(
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

ClashOwenBash

Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:54 am

Hunter36o wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:18 am
I'm 50-50 on getting a future parasite queen. Like it is perfectly natural for them to take over existing small colonies but I'm torn at the idea of doing it myself just to add a new species to the ranks :(
It's rare but sometimes certain ant shops have parasitic queens already with host workers, if that helps.
Ant-keeper going into his 4th year of loving ants!

Hunter36o

Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:06 am

No GAN or Irish based ant shop. I would have to ship one from England and although not illegal, it is still not something I would go for as we all know it does not guarantee ants will survive and I'm not one to put a creatures life on the line for my own gain.
I will just have to try convince myself at some point it's a natural part of ant life and just bite the bullet with a small young colony. Or maybe wild workers slowed via a few seconds in a mid temp fridge?? I dono
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

antnest8

Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:37 am

When I tried with this i just took workers from the outside. some brood to start with might help also.
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

Hunter36o

Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:13 am

What approach did you take to introduce them?
I see most people try slow the workers down but should the queen be chilled out also? Also is there a way to ease them into it rather then just openly putting them straight into the same container and hoping for the best?

AntsDakota

Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:25 pm

Unfortunately, the cold killed her. Now I know not to put anything that isn't Camponotus in the garage over the winter. Oh well- there's always this year.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

JoeHostile1

Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:36 am

AntsDakota wrote:
Unfortunately, the cold killed her. Now I know not to put anything that isn't Camponotus in the garage over the winter. Oh well- there's always this year.
If the cold didn’t kill the camponotus than it’s unlikely it killed the claviger Queen. Those queens fly in October in Canada right before winter and then just sit somewhere until spring comes and then they look for a host colony. They could literally survive -20C just sitting under a piece of bark or a rock. Could be that your queen just didn’t make it. Or maybe it wasn’t claviger but another Lasius parasite that look almost identical because there are a few different species of parasitic Lasius that look alike.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA

AntsDakota

Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:41 pm

JoeHostile1 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:36 am
AntsDakota wrote:
If the cold didn’t kill the camponotus than it’s unlikely it killed the claviger Queen. Those queens fly in October in Canada right before winter and then just sit somewhere until spring comes and then they look for a host colony. They could literally survive -20C just sitting under a piece of bark or a rock. Could be that your queen just didn’t make it. Or maybe it wasn’t claviger but another Lasius parasite that look almost identical because there are a few different species of parasitic Lasius that look alike.
I believe she may have drowned, then. However I thought that was strange, as although there was a puddle of water beneath her, the majority of her body was exposed to the air.