Can queen ants that have mated still fly without shedding of wings?

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

AntsDakota

Re: Can queen ants that have mated still fly without shedding of wings?

Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:22 pm

I mean it could be not mated.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

Hunter36o

Re: Can queen ants that have mated still fly without shedding of wings?

Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:04 am

I caught a queen when in the process of mating with 2 males and attempted to fly when they both had finished mating with her. So for a time after their wings do work, which makes sense as they do need to fly away from where they mated to find a new home.

Side note. I have also noticed if you catch a mated queen who still has her wings attached, she will be less likely to shed her wings. I find it interesting because I can monitor how the wings act after their use is complete. It would appear they are slowly falling apart on their own. In my own opinion this would suggest that they have completely shut down and after the muscles have been broken down into soup the wings slowly rot away regardless. I'm looking forward to see how it pans out because in theory she shouldn't have actual scars but tiny wing stumps or similar because they are slowly falling off rather then being torn off. So her exoskeleton should not be as vulnerable as the average queen because part of it won't be ripped off.
Officially caring for 5 Lasius colonies :D :D :D

Founding stage:
1x Myrmica Rubra with one worker

3 Lasius Niger colonies will be on sale AFTER hibernation.