If I feed my ants protein shake will they feed it to their larvae?

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

AntsDakota

If I feed my ants protein shake will they feed it to their larvae?

Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:47 pm

Can ants actually tell if a food source contains protein or not?
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

AntnoobSG

Re: If I feed my ants protein shake will they feed it to their larvae?

Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:58 pm

Protein jelly (or whatever you have) sold online does not have the nutrients that feeder insects have. So protein jelly sold online is not intended to replace the protein source in your ants diet
Keeper of :
Camponotus albosparsus x2 :o
Camponotus Irritans ;)
Hoping for pheidole colony :D

Hunter36o

Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:25 am

AntnoobSG wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:58 pm
Protein jelly (or whatever you have) sold online does not have the nutrients that feeder insects have. So protein jelly sold online is not intended to replace the protein source in your ants diet
I think he is referring to protein shakes can gym goers use, not the ant jelly that you buy online.

As for if it works I will be honest this is the first I have even seen this get mentioned so go science or go home?
If you use it your self next time you make give a tiny drop to the ants, wild ants if ur worried about Ur own and see how they react.
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

AntsDakota

Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:44 pm

If I understand right, humans need more types of protein than ants. I would assume protein shakes have all necessary protein for humans, and then for ants. I actually think that ants feed their larvae carbs so they can maybe move around.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25