Myrmica behaviour and nice glass outworld from Germany.

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

Hunter36o

Myrmica behaviour and nice glass outworld from Germany.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:59 pm

Is there by any chance a Myrmica species that is fully claustral?
I ask because one of my 2 Myrmica queens has decided to stay away from the open test tube and dig into the sand the like they would but she has sealed the entrance?? Do semi claustral queens seal off their chambers and re open them every time the forge? That has to be hassle, tho maybe that is because I am human....

Oh and before you ask why the test tube is completely open is because my Myrmica are rightly spoiled in their early stage. See I had bought an out world in preparation before I actually knew about hibernation. Not am AC one tho (Came across AC's YouTube after he moved to the Philippines so and so was the suggested vid that caught my attention in the first place.) So I put the outworld away.
Well that was until I found a Myrmica queen by pure chance. And after I got her I to an empty test tube, I instantly though now I have the perfect place for you girls. It is a nice sized outworld for a starter colony and it also has the an extra thin layer at the back to fill with sand and whach then dig. Like the old ant farms for workers, I cannot think of the name at the minute. It has a glass lid with a fine mess for air in the middle and two precut holes with covers on either end for tubbing :)

It's no AC set up but it's still nice and was from Germany so all round it's good. It's cornered edges tho and no over lip at the top. Will actually fit in nicely with an AC Hybrid pack so that's a plus.
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

AntsLuxembourg

Re: Myrmica behaviour and nice glass outworld from Germany.

Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:00 am

It could have been from the AntStore in Berlin. About them being claustral or semi claustral I am not aware. It would be good to know what species they are to provide more help. If the queen seals off the entrance she is most likely fully claustral.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.