What weird mold is this?

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

CampoKing

What weird mold is this?

Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:55 pm

I saw this crazy "red mop" mold in one of my Camponotus wood habitats. Although it looks cool, it could easily be toxic. Anybody know what type of mold it is? Species etc? Thanks guys

Keeper of Camponotus:
C. pennsylvanicus, C. subbarbatus, C. nearcticus

Hunter36o

Re: What weird mold is this?

Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:41 am

Hey sorry but I did not find out a tone in the short time I have (in work, bathroom break lol) but most red and orange molds can be harmless but can also set off allergy symptoms. In any case I would clean the mold to be on the safe side and I would also scrape up around the mold area to reduce the spread of it. I'll have a more detailed look into this for you on my lunch break if that is okay but do clean it up. Also are the ant curious by it or make it an obvious mission to keep well away?
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

Hunter36o

Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:56 am

Also the more I look at it. The more it screams fungus but I'll have to go digging on the internet to be sure. I've saved the image just in case.
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

Hunter36o

Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:34 am

Hello again. A friend of mine wants to know can we have more pictures, what soils or substrate u use, do you have red clay and it is far to neat for *****. Do you have worms with the ants? She also said clean it immediately but if I can be delicate about it put it in a pot under the same conditions the ants formicarium is in, put in a dark area for science?

She studied biology so I trust her input so please as many angles as u can get in pics would be great.

AntsDakota

Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:04 pm

It looks like the hair of Medusa.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

CampoKing

Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:41 pm

I will let this stuff grow in its own container, if possible, and take more pics. Otherwise all i have is a larger version of the same image
https://ibb.co/kyzLL9
Keeper of Camponotus:
C. pennsylvanicus, C. subbarbatus, C. nearcticus

Hunter36o

Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:55 am

Any thing to report?