Could corn starch work as a barrier?

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

Ltislander

Could corn starch work as a barrier?

Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:49 am

I would use baby powder but there are studies it can give you cancer. So I stay far away from baby powder. So could corn starch be used as a barrier?

AntsDakota

Re: Could corn starch work as a barrier?

Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:19 pm

Ltislander wrote:
I would use baby powder but there are studies it can give you cancer. So I stay far away from baby powder. So could corn starch be used as a barrier?
You could try it.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

antnest8

Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:29 pm

Ltislander wrote:
i use baby powder. and when i looked at the ingredients it said cornstarch.so i guess their are two types of baby powder cornstarch based and talcum powder based. the only problem i see is that you need a really fine grounded powder for it to work. note that cornstarch powder should not be applied with alcohol or water. only applied dry.
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

MorbidBugg

Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:43 pm

I have been using corn starch since my first camponotus Novaeboracensis workers needed an out world no escapes and it doesn't look like any has gotten past to attempt. Mind you I have like 10 workers so the need to escape for them is minuet
Ants are life's most successful invaders. Understand and respect that power.

Hunter36o

Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:44 am

Heck the air we breathe gives us cancer at this point. Baby powder to my belief is not cancerous, however the Johnson's products were, and could still be tested on animals. So stay clear of them.

Any fine power works as long as it sticks to the glass, it also depends on the ants being housed as I have watched the fire nation refuse to let any powered base barrier stop them for long at all. For those who do not watch AC's visa the fire nation is a red tropical fire ant colony. Does guys will not let up.

I think of u cannot decide on a set barrier. Use different ones on each part of the outworld. For example if it is a glass tank use a different powder on each pane. Then you will know which works best :D
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.