Barriers not working!

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

AntsDakota

Re: Barriers not working!

Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:36 pm

We have some weird weather here.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

Hunter36o

Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:57 am

Try living in Ireland. It does not get any more bipolar weather wise then it does here.
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

antnest8

Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:46 pm

i really think that everyone (except people in Florida) think that their weather is bad, an example is a saying Michiganders have. "if you don't like the weather in Michigan wait 5 minuets."
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

Bierschneeman

Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:56 pm

antnest8 wrote:
i really think that everyone (except people in Florida) think that their weather is bad, an example is a saying Michiganders have. "if you don't like the weather in Michigan wait 5 minuets."
i get that phrase from my grandmother talking about living in Texas (not from, not currently residing) . I think thats a phrase a lot of people who dont travel use. and some that do.

my weather is simple, hot and humid 8 months, humid and cool 2 months (fall and spring fight over who is shorter in a given year) cold and humid for two months, usually rainy during all but summer.

59" a year in rain

winter usually is just wet and cold with a plains snow storm rolling in once every five years.

that said. dry baby powder, useless, unsure of how often you need to reapply, two weeks or less.

olive oil, weekly applications, but very effective.

alc/baby powder. seems best of three for long lasting in humidity, but works for less ants.

teflon. what i am using now. so far, two weeks no issues
Founding:
3 Solenopsis I/X
5 Tapinoma sessile
1 Nylanderia terricola/vivulda

Colonies:
1 Brachymyrmex patagonicus
1 Pheidole soritis
1 Tapinoma sessile

The difference between a hobby and a scientific pursuit, is detailed notes.

AntsDakota

Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:32 am

antnest8 wrote:
Hey, we here in SD say the same thing. (just replace Michigan)
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

AntsDakota

Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:33 am

antnest8 wrote:
Well, people in Florida might say it rains too much...... (just guessing, though)