Camponotus colony making a major already?

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

AntsDakota

Camponotus colony making a major already?

Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:08 pm

They only have 5 workers, but there is a super huge larva.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

antnest8

Re: Camponotus colony making a major already?

Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:57 pm

could be a reproductive
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

ClashOwenBash

Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:40 am

Still that is odd. What Camponotus sp is it?
Ant-keeper going into his 4th year of loving ants!

AntsOfOntario

Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:29 pm

I'd have to disagree. I think that the colony he's referring to is his Camponotus Penn. and I can personally say that they don't have to be in their second year to produce mini majors. They won't appear anywhere close to full size but you will know when you have one due to their size. (Head and abdomen) Small colonies can produce these and use them as storage tanks. I've seen this from experience as my colony is not even 2 months old (since their first worker) and they've already produced two small ones. They immediately filled them up with honey and their abdomens seem to be bursting from the seems.

I think this is useful because during hibernation the more food they can reserve the better.

Once a colony receives consistent amounts of food that are packed with nutrients there's no doubting they have the capability to produce a major. I also don't believe that a queen would produce 5 workers and then decide to develop a reproductive.

Hope this helped. :D

antnest8

Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:45 am

AntsOfOntario wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:29 pm
I'd have to disagree. I think that the colony he's referring to is his Camponotus Penn. and I can personally say that they don't have to be in their second year to produce mini majors. They won't appear anywhere close to full size but you will know when you have one due to their size. (Head and abdomen) Small colonies can produce these and use them as storage tanks. I've seen this from experience as my colony is not even 2 months old (since their first worker) and they've already produced two small ones. They immediately filled them up with honey and their abdomens seem to be bursting from the seems.

I think this is useful because during hibernation the more food they can reserve the better.

Once a colony receives consistent amounts of food that are packed with nutrients there's no doubting they have the capability to produce a major. I also don't believe that a queen would produce 5 workers and then decide to develop a reproductive.

Hope this helped. :D
i just assumed super huge meant super huge
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

AntsDakota

Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:25 pm

Yes, it's Camponotus pennsylvanicus, but it's way too small to be a queen elate. And by the way, the queen ate it. :(
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

ClashOwenBash

Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:12 am

AntsDakota wrote:
Yes, it's Camponotus pennsylvanicus, but it's way too small to be a queen elate. And by the way, the queen ate it. :(
:shock: she obviously didn't like it.
Ant-keeper going into his 4th year of loving ants!

AntsDakota

Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:48 pm

*** SPAM *** wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:12 am
AntsDakota wrote:
:shock: she obviously didn't like it.
:lol:

Hunter36o

Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:03 am

Is it possible for a queen to make a fake major or alate to make up for a lack of protein?

Or even is it possible they previously had enough food to support a "mini major?" But the conditions changed and she deemed it necessary to consume it rather then let it die?

Sorry but I have zero experience with these ants as they do not populate Ireland.
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.