What are the pros and cons of brood boosting?

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

Ltislander

Re: What are the pros and cons of brood boosting?

Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:08 am

Batspiderfish wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:03 am
Beginner ant-keepers should not brood boost.

I say beginner, because there are very few situations in which boosting is beneficial to a colony, and recognizing those situations is the only time to really justify it. Most people only want to brood boost because they are too impatient to let their colonies grow naturally or because they are neglecting their ants and wish to extend the life of the colony for a very short period without figuring out what the problem is.

Brood boosting comes with risks. It is an easy way to introduce mites or other unwanted guests to the habitat of your pet ants. It will potentially destroy a wild colony. It may even harm the health of your captive colony if there is more brood than your ants can care for or clean up after.

Some ant species require brood boosting or callow workers in order to get started, particularly social parasites or ants which may require the workforce of their mother colony (e.g. certain Dolichoderus). Knowing when boosting can actually help a queen is a reward that comes with care and experience.
After reading this I’m not sure I want to boost! After looking at the colony again I realize I have only seen 200 workers. The queen was under another brick.There is only one tunnel heading to the brood. I think I’ll be patient and wait it out.

Hunter36o

Re: What are the pros and cons of brood boosting?

Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:44 am

Batspiderfish wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:03 am
Beginner ant-keepers should not brood boost.

I say beginner, because there are very few situations in which boosting is beneficial to a colony, and recognizing those situations is the only time to really justify it. Most people only want to brood boost because they are too impatient to let their colonies grow naturally or because they are neglecting their ants and wish to extend the life of the colony for a very short period without figuring out what the problem is.

Brood boosting comes with risks. It is an easy way to introduce mites or other unwanted guests to the habitat of your pet ants. It will potentially destroy a wild colony. It may even harm the health of your captive colony if there is more brood than your ants can care for or clean up after.

Some ant species require brood boosting or callow workers in order to get started, particularly social parasites or ants which may require the workforce of their mother colony (e.g. certain Dolichoderus). Knowing when boosting can actually help a queen is a reward that comes with care and experience.
Ah see this makes more sense. I do not actually want to boost my colonies at all as I am a beginner. My main question for this is actually due to the fact I have a few Lasius queen's that have pupae but I know that does not mean they will all survive just because they made it this far. If one was to die do I just let the eggs larvae and pupae die out or if this situation was to arrise is there a way I can save that queen's brood? Although a queen may not make it I would just hate for all her time and effort up to this point to be completely wasted.
Pro life, pro ants.
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.