Formica v.s camponotus

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

antnest8

Formica v.s camponotus

Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:34 am

So I know i probably should know this by now but i still can't discern Formica queens from camponotus queens very well. the workers are easier to discern because of their movement and how jittery it is like as if they are moving in a video game that is really glitchy. The queens on the other hand the only clue i've got is that camponotus is usually larger but that's not all of the time. so if anyone can explain the difference that would be very helpfull
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

AntsDakota

Re: Formica v.s camponotus

Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:04 pm

antnest8 wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:34 am
So I know i probably should know this by now but i still can't discern Formica queens from camponotus queens very well. the workers are easier to discern because of their movement and how jittery it is like as if they are moving in a video game that is really glitchy. The queens on the other hand the only clue i've got is that camponotus is usually larger but that's not all of the time. so if anyone can explain the difference that would be very helpfull
To me Formica queen abdomens are more round-ovalish while Camponotus are more elongated. Formica queens often have semi-transparent gasters and Camponotus queens usually have more glossy abdomens. Formica queens often have noticeable stripe patterns on their gasters and Camponotus just have black or yellow ridges. Camponotus queens also have huge heads and if you pick one up you can tell if it's Camponotus if it bites you. It hurts.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

AntsOfOntario

Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:43 pm

Agreed. The dead giveaway would be the width of the queens head in comparison to it's mid section.

antnest8

Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:40 am

thanks for the replies hopefully this will help me in my identification skills.
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum