How do you tell Lasius americanus (alienus) from brevicornis (flavus)?

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

AntsDakota

How do you tell Lasius americanus (alienus) from brevicornis (flavus)?

Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:52 pm

I recently mastered how to distinguish Lasius neoniger and americanus (The new name for the North American Lasius alienus) queens and was wondering how to tell Lasius americanus from brevicornis (The new name for the North American Lasius flavus). My lack of insight on this genus has led me to mis-id my queen several times. It went from Brachymyrmex depilis to Lasius flavus/brevicornis, then to Lasius americanus and now I'm almost sure on Lasius neoniger. I just don't want to make that mistake ever again.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

ClashOwenBash

Re: How do you tell Lasius americanus (alienus) from brevicornis (flavus)?

Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:15 am

AntsDakota wrote:
I recently mastered how to distinguish Lasius neoniger and americanus (The new name for the North American Lasius alienus) queens and was wondering how to tell Lasius americanus from brevicornis (The new name for the North American Lasius flavus). My lack of insight on this genus has led me to mis-id my queen several times. It went from Brachymyrmex depilis to Lasius flavus/brevicornis, then to Lasius americanus and now I'm almost sure on Lasius neoniger. I just don't want to make that mistake ever again.
Lasius Flavus has bright yellow workers and the queen's underbelly is yellowish with the rest of her body being brown. So Lasius Brevicornis should be easy to tell apart from L.neoniger because of the different colouring.
Ant-keeper going into his 4th year of loving ants!

AntsDakota

Re: How do you tell Lasius americanus (alienus) from brevicornis (flavus)?

Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:55 pm

*** SPAM *** wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:15 am
AntsDakota wrote:
Lasius Flavus has bright yellow workers and the queen's underbelly is yellowish with the rest of her body being brown. So Lasius Brevicornis should be easy to tell apart from L.neoniger because of the different colouring.
I know how the workers look, but neoniger and americanus queens also have a yellow underside.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25