What does "spp" mean after formica "spp".

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

Handro421

What does "spp" mean after formica "spp".

Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:22 pm

:D hi this is my first post :o and i am a begginer. :roll: I would like to know what the "spp" means :?: and if you have any other advice to give me plz do :!: . I am going to go queen hunting in like 5 mins. Wish me luck! Ill also tell you what queen i captured or if i did capture one :lol: . And yeah i know it would be helpful to know what queen i have but ill tell u :| and if you live in alberta hooorayyy!!! i live there too. 8-)
Borkborkborkbork

AntsDakota

Re: What does "spp" mean after formica "spp".

Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:35 pm

Handro421 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:22 pm
:D hi this is my first post :o and i am a begginer. :roll: I would like to know what the "spp" means :?: and if you have any other advice to give me plz do :!: . I am going to go queen hunting in like 5 mins. Wish me luck! Ill also tell you what queen i captured or if i did capture one :lol: . And yeah i know it would be helpful to know what queen i have but ill tell u :| and if you live in alberta hooorayyy!!! i live there too. 8-)
Spp means species. Formica spp means all species in the genus Formica. And if you really need help identifying a queen, ask Batspiderfish. He is probably the most experienced member on this forum.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

Batspiderfish

Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:38 pm

sp. means "species"; Formica sp. means "a species of Formica".
spp. means "species pluralis"; Formica spp. means "multiple different species of Formica".
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Handro421

Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:50 pm

Thank you guys SOOOOO MUCH!!! :D Thats going to help alot now scince im reading the e book :o and all they say sp and spp! :!: ! Thanks!!! :D
Borkborkborkbork