Crazy ants in U.K.?

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

AntsDakota

Crazy ants in U.K.?

Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:11 pm

I was doing some research on the ants of the U.K. and antweb says that Anoplolepis gracilipes and Paratrechina longicornis live in the U.K.! I've heard of Paratreching longicornis surviving in temperate regions by living inside heated buildings, but all the way to the U.K.?
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

ClashOwenBash

Re: Crazy ants in U.K.?

Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:31 am

AntsDakota wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:11 pm
I was doing some research on the ants of the U.K. and antweb says that Anoplolepis gracilipes and Paratrechina longicornis live in the U.K.! I've heard of Paratreching longicornis surviving in temperate regions by living inside heated buildings, but all the way to the U.K.?
Yes I know it sounds "crazy", but actually there have been many accounts of Paratrecha Longicornis in the Uk. (Even the media jumped on the story for a bit). Mainly around the city of Birmingham where they are thought to of arrived via trade with Argentina. They are still an invasive species, but I have seen a few black ants (which are smaller than Lasius Niger) running very fast past the Myrmica Rubra colonies that I'm keeping tabs on. These ants can't be formica fusca as their workers are slightly larger than L.Niger's. So I guess they could be Paratrecha Longicornis. (still very unlikely though)
Ant-keeper going into his 4th year of loving ants!