Formicarium Design Questions

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

KlassyAnts

Formicarium Design Questions

Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:22 pm

Hello, Ant Lovers out there. I am considering getting an Odontomachus Clarus colony (If I'm able to find a queen near me or find someone who would be willing to sell me one in Texas via the GAN project) anyway. I was trying to figure out the design for the formicarium. I know that these particular ants are comfortable in both arid and mesic habitats, so I was going to try to incorporate some of those features in the ant setup. I was going to try to purchase a 10-gallon glass fish tank for the setup, (as I read somewhere that these particular ants cannot climb glass (is this true for Odontomachus Clarus, or is it a different variation of the Odontomachus ants?). Based on where I got the ants, I would try to base my formicarium on that area. (Although most of where they live are in my opinion a death zone of heat *aka where I live :D *. I haven't gotten this colony yet and am looking to get them, but if I can't get a colony this year, I will try to get one next Nuptial flight season *next year*. Sorry for the long post, I'm just super curious about any suggestion people may have.

DakstoneF

Re: Formicarium Design Questions

Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:57 pm

I'm in the exact same boat trying to track down Odontomachus Clarus - I cannot find ANYONE in Texas who has even raised any. I've even been told by an Austin seller that Clarus doesn't exist in Texas.

They've always been my dream species, and I am currently creating a vivarium for them as well while trying to either time traveling to Austin/Galvaston for nuptial flights or finding someone who has queens. Clarus, I've heard, CAN climb glass but have a lot more difficulties climbing than other species.

Have you had any luck yet? I feel like the past two years trying to find them I always miss their flights; I've found many colonies in Austin but no sellers. I've even been reaching out to other ant enthusiasts to try and organize a group expedition to find these amazing ladies.

I hope you've made some progress!

AntnoobSG

Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:37 pm

My odontomachus queen can’t climb plastic :o :lol:
Keeper of :
Camponotus albosparsus x2 :o
Camponotus Irritans ;)
Hoping for pheidole colony :D

Bierschneeman

Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:30 am

if you are living in austin, make the trek out to hill country. they are supposed to be there.

just set a spell at the alberts dance hall for a beer, then spend the afternoon out looking.
Founding:
3 Solenopsis I/X
5 Tapinoma sessile
1 Nylanderia terricola/vivulda

Colonies:
1 Brachymyrmex patagonicus
1 Pheidole soritis
1 Tapinoma sessile

The difference between a hobby and a scientific pursuit, is detailed notes.

KlassyAnts

Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:28 pm

No I have not been able to find them yet. I'm probably going to go closer to where they live (But still closer enough that it's not irresponsible to remove them (like 300 miles away)) I'm going to look for them next you so I hope I can find them. They apparently have been found in a place called may Texas but I haven't gone to see so I'm just going on what I've heard.