Anyone here own a mature Camponotus colony?

General Off Topic Chat and Discussions

Moderator: ooper01

Post Reply
AntsDakota
Posts: 1153
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:22 pm
Location: South Dakota

Anyone here own a mature Camponotus colony?

Post: # 45479Post AntsDakota
Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:27 pm

The only journals I can find here record the queen's founding process and small colonies and then stop.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

NKantsalberta
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 6:48 pm
Location: Alberta

Re: Anyone here own a mature Camponotus colony?

Post: # 45758Post NKantsalberta
Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:11 pm

I am founding 3 camponotus colonies at the moment, all only have eggs and larvae however, what exactly were you wanting?
Founding 3x Camponotus novaeboracensis, 5x Formica sp

Keeping 1x Myrmica Sp

AntsDakota
Posts: 1153
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:22 pm
Location: South Dakota

Re: Anyone here own a mature Camponotus colony?

Post: # 45902Post AntsDakota
Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:09 pm

NKantsalberta wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:11 pm
I am founding 3 camponotus colonies at the moment, all only have eggs and larvae however, what exactly were you wanting?
A mature ant colony consists of at least 2,000-3,000 workers.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

NKantsalberta
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 6:48 pm
Location: Alberta

Re: Anyone here own a mature Camponotus colony?

Post: # 45928Post NKantsalberta
Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:32 pm

AntsDakota wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:09 pm
NKantsalberta wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:11 pm
I am founding 3 camponotus colonies at the moment, all only have eggs and larvae however, what exactly were you wanting?
A mature ant colony consists of at least 2,000-3,000 workers.
Lol I know that, was just curious of what you were looking for from someone who has one.
Founding 3x Camponotus novaeboracensis, 5x Formica sp

Keeping 1x Myrmica Sp

AntsDakota
Posts: 1153
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:22 pm
Location: South Dakota

Re: Anyone here own a mature Camponotus colony?

Post: # 46029Post AntsDakota
Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:05 pm

NKantsalberta wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:32 pm
AntsDakota wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:09 pm
NKantsalberta wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:11 pm
I am founding 3 camponotus colonies at the moment, all only have eggs and larvae however, what exactly were you wanting?
A mature ant colony consists of at least 2,000-3,000 workers.
Lol I know that, was just curious of what you were looking for from someone who has one.
I have a small Camponotus pennsylvanicus colony and raising another one of their queens, and I was just wandering what it was like to keep a mature colony. I am willing to wait until my colonies reach maturity, but in the meantime, I just wanted to observe some mature Camponotus colonies. So my goal here was to learn, not to buy.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

NKantsalberta
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 6:48 pm
Location: Alberta

Re: Anyone here own a mature Camponotus colony?

Post: # 46051Post NKantsalberta
Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:06 pm

AntsDakota wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:05 pm
NKantsalberta wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:32 pm
AntsDakota wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:09 pm

A mature ant colony consists of at least 2,000-3,000 workers.
Lol I know that, was just curious of what you were looking for from someone who has one.
I have a small Camponotus pennsylvanicus colony and raising another one of their queens, and I was just wandering what it was like to keep a mature colony. I am willing to wait until my colonies reach maturity, but in the meantime, I just wanted to observe some mature Camponotus colonies. So my goal here was to learn, not to buy.

Right on, I have the same ambition for one of my camponotus colonies. I'm sure the experience of keeping a mature colony is well worth the wait.
Founding 3x Camponotus novaeboracensis, 5x Formica sp

Keeping 1x Myrmica Sp

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests