Omni nest large issue

Discussion and information relating to the AntsCanada Omni Nest Series.

Moderator: ooper01

Theantguy13

Omni nest large issue

Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:58 pm

I have had a Omni nest large but only recently I was able to use it and I encountered a lasting problem.
I am keeping solenopsis xyloni in it as of now and they have 20 or so workers. The problem is that they keep finding ways into the hydration chambers and are trying to escape. I need help and I don't know how or why they are getting inside. I have tried putting cotton inside with the sponge to make it more pressurized so that it pushes the mesh firmly against the walls but they still are getting in. Should I change the sponges to all cotton? I don't know. Please help.

Theantguy13

Re: Omni nest large issue

Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:21 pm

I copied this post to the formicarium and ant setups page

ooper01
Head Moderator

Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:51 am

S. xyloni are pretty small and have been known to be good escape artists. You can try removing the sponge the steel mesh and just stuff those chambers with cotton. It seems like if you stuff them tightly enough, the ants will not be able to get through. The cotton will serve the purpose of hydration just fine. Let us know how it goes...
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

Theantguy13

Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:04 pm

Sorry I forgot to post but I fixed it by removing the mesh,keeping the sponge and adding cotton in the connecting hallways yo block the ants but also give them access to the water and humidity. Thanks anyway though.