Pictures of Omni Nest with outworld mounted on formicarium?

Discussion and information relating to the AntsCanada Omni Nest Series.

Moderator: ooper01

KHandcock

Pictures of Omni Nest with outworld mounted on formicarium?

Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:33 am

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have a picture of an Omni Nest setup with the outworld mounted on the formicarium as it says you can do in the assembly instructions? I'm leaning towards an Omni Nest for our first colony - my son and I both think it would be great to be able to watch the activity inside the next easily - but I can't quite picture what it looks like. Thanks in advance!

ooper01
Head Moderator

Re: Pictures of Omni Nest with outworld mounted on formicarium?

Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:00 am

There is one on the AntsCanada site that shows it pretty well.

~ ooper

Forum Moderator

KHandcock

Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:43 am

Oh, thanks! I see how it fits together now :-)

Follow-up question: can you use the solidifying ground mix from the biome kits in the Omni Nest outworld? (And let me know if it's better to make this a separate thread.)

ooper01
Head Moderator

Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:52 pm

KHandcock wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:43 am
Oh, thanks! I see how it fits together now :-)

Follow-up question: can you use the solidifying ground mix from the biome kits in the Omni Nest outworld? (And let me know if it's better to make this a separate thread.)
Yes you could use the solidifying ground mix from our biome kits in the Omni Nest outworld. Just be sure not to cover the entrance into the outworld, which is on the bottom ;) The amount of "stuff" included in the biome kits is designed to fill the larger outworld, so you will have lots of extra.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

KHandcock

Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:17 am

Great, thanks! I'm very excited by the idea of this. I always wanted an ant farm as a kid but got disappointed when I found out you only got workers. It never occurred to me to try catching a queen! So when my son stumbled across AntsCanada I felt like a little kid again :-)

ooper01
Head Moderator

Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:56 am

KHandcock wrote:
Great, thanks! I'm very excited by the idea of this. I always wanted an ant farm as a kid but got disappointed when I found out you only got workers. It never occurred to me to try catching a queen! So when my son stumbled across AntsCanada I felt like a little kid again :-)
Haha, yes many of us feel like kids again due to Mikey's great work at AntsCanada!! ;)
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

xTNxANTMANx

Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:58 pm

KHandcock wrote:
This is the exact same thing that happened to me. As a kid I was always fascinated with insects and especially this colony of fire ants that lived in our front yard, but I could never understand why they kept dying when I would try to start an ant farm with them and like you said, it never once occurred to me either to get a queen. Last year around the end of August I stumbled upon Mikey's channel by accident and it sparked my childhood dream all over again. I want to give a shout out to Mikey for his great work and his enthusiasm. He has made many of us go back to our childhood roots :-) Without his videos I probably never would have become an ant keeper. They truly are such fascinating creatures and they are extremely family oriented as well if you think about it.
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2