Lighting

Discussion and information relating to the AntsCanada Omni Nest Series.

Moderator: ooper01

Reevak

Lighting

Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:40 pm

I thought that ants dislike the light and prefer the dark, so doesn't this mean that the Omni Nests will irritate ant colonies? I also heard that ants cant see red light so is there a way to cover an Omni Nest in a sheet of red plastic to make them think it is dark? And if so, where would you get this? Thanks

Aussie

Re: Lighting

Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:53 pm

As far as I know some ants will adjust and some will be stubborn.

ooper01
Head Moderator

Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:52 pm

Reevak wrote:I thought that ants dislike the light and prefer the dark, so doesn't this mean that the Omni Nests will irritate ant colonies? I also heard that ants cant see red light so is there a way to cover an Omni Nest in a sheet of red plastic to make them think it is dark? And if so, where would you get this? Thanks
I have used red photographic sheets. I can't remember where I got them though?? :(
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

Serafine

Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:08 am

Just use red acetate foil. It's available in pretty much any size and you can cut it with scissors.

Balvine

Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:50 pm

I am sorry to resurrect this thread, but I was wondering if I need to cover the sides of the omni nest also with red foil, or is it enough to cover only the top of the formicarium?

Serafine

Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:17 pm

Put a cardboard sheet over the nest (or a towel), that should be sufficient.
Don't believe this "ants can't see red light" nonsense, they CAN (there's even some recent studies proving it).
Red foil in combination with daylight has ZERO effect on my Camponotus, they react as if the foil just wasn't there.

Dearth335

Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:14 pm

Serafine wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:17 pm
Put a cardboard sheet over the nest (or a towel), that should be sufficient.
Don't believe this "ants can't see red light" nonsense, they CAN (there's even some recent studies proving it).
Red foil in combination with daylight has ZERO effect on my Camponotus, they react as if the foil just wasn't there.
The only species that can see red light are a few camponotus and Cardiocondyla and a few other rare species. But a towel is a cheaper option for sure. I just put paper cut to the exact dimensions for the nest. Then I could remove it. The bottom and sides were taped on.

AntsDakota

Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:47 pm

All of my ants can see red light. It's not true.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25