Moving Time Help Needed

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

fluumpintaro

Moving Time Help Needed

Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:23 am

Hi All,

I haven't started yet but it'll soon be time to move my lasius niger colony into a larger home, they're currently happy with their environment (around 100+ workers from what i can tell with no escape attempts and little wall climbing) but i want to get them into my new larger terrarium before it becomes a problem.

I was wondering, what would be the best way to do this? I want to encourage my colony to move to their new home without much physical intervention and as little stress as possible. I have the space to "dump" the ants into their new environment but i'm not sure about stressing out the queen and damaging her egg laying ability. Is there a way to coerce them into their new terrarium without having to forcefully move them out? I have seen cases where lasius niger will happily move to or establish a new nest but i wouldn't know how to get them to leave their old one.

The issue being, it's an entirely natural set up. There's no man-made formicarium or nest so it's not as simple as moving them out from there.

What do we think, is it a lost hope? Should i just use this new terrarium as an expanded out world? Do i simply have to be patient and hope?

Thanks for the help in advance! :D

idahoantgirl

Re: Moving Time Help Needed

Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:37 am

If you can connect the two with tubing, stop hydrating the old nest and keep the new one moist. It will probably take a while since soil holds moisture, but I would not recommend dumping it. All the brood would be lost and the queen could be damaged.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile