Help!! Camponotus herculeanus trouble

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

OwlDaAntLover

Help!! Camponotus herculeanus trouble

Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:38 pm

Hi guys!!! My family bought a lot of wood for fire and while depositing it I found and caught what I am pretty sure is a Camponotus herculeanus queen (I know, what luck!! :DD) but after depositing some more wood i noticed that there were some majors on the ground so I assume the queen already had quite a big colony since there were majors there but the whole thing fell apart while the wood was moved. I didn't put any of the majors with her since they may be from a different colony and i was worried they might harm the queen ( she already has 1 leg missing). I decided to keep her and thought I should ask here for advice on whether to put some majors with her or not and if i should feed her this time since she probably already metabolised her wing muscles
Please heeeelppp!!

AntsDakota

Re: Help!! Camponotus herculeanus trouble

Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:47 pm

OwlDaAntLover wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:38 pm
Hi guys!!! My family bought a lot of wood for fire and while depositing it I found and caught what I am pretty sure is a Camponotus herculeanus queen (I know, what luck!! :DD) but after depositing some more wood i noticed that there were some majors on the ground so I assume the queen already had quite a big colony since there were majors there but the whole thing fell apart while the wood was moved. I didn't put any of the majors with her since they may be from a different colony and i was worried they might harm the queen ( she already has 1 leg missing). I decided to keep her and thought I should ask here for advice on whether to put some majors with her or not and if i should feed her this time since she probably already metabolised her wing muscles
Please heeeelppp!!
Try it with one major, and see if they fight. If they do, separate them, for it takes longer than you may think for even a major to seriously wound another ant.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

OwlDaAntLover

Re: Help!! Camponotus herculeanus trouble

Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:00 pm

I tried that and though the major didn't attack the queen, the queen ran for her life away from it and seemed pretty stressed, so I got the major out. After seeing this it probably wasn't a member of her own colony sooo should i let her lay eggs as it is or should i feed her just to be sure?