Social parasite queens

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

JakeM0816

Social parasite queens

Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:56 pm

So I have recently caught 2 Lasius Umbratus queens and I am still waiting on adding host workers, in your opinion what is the best way to introduce some workers, thanks!
Founding:
3xTetramorium Immigrans
1xcamponatus Pennsylvanicus

Huntley GAN Farmer :D

ClashOwenBash

Re: Social parasite queens

Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:28 am

I've personally never kept L.Umbratus however I do know a little on how they work:
The Queen will go looking for a L.Niger colony. It will then secretly kill a L.Niger worker to allow it to gain the colony scent (which will mean that the L.N workers will no longer attack it). It will then proceed into the colony and kill the L.N queen and take it's place.

Therefore I suggest you find a L.Niger colony and capture some workers (they all have to be from the same colony!). Try not to damage or take too many workers from that colony as you don't want to wipe them out! Then in your testtube setup (with the L.U queen inside) add one L.N worker at a time with small breaks. The queen will probably kill the first few until they stop attacking her. (If possible try to remove the dead workers before adding more as there sents will lead to the workers always attacking!) Once you've got one worker that isn't attacking the L.U queen continue to add the rest of the workers one by one, until you are happy with the amount of workers the queen has tricked into helping her. Then I guess you just look after the new colony in the same way as any other Lasius colony. Also only try this with one queen at a time as it might not work as I haven't tried it myself yet.

Pls reply so I know if this method works or not.
Ant-keeper going into his 4th year of loving ants!

ClashOwenBash

Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:48 pm

Also try to get some pupae and add to the queen first as it helps.
Ant-keeper going into his 4th year of loving ants!

Batspiderfish

Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:57 pm

I wrote a guide on this subject:
http://www.formiculture.com/topic/3252-much-ado-about-the-founding-of-lasius-temporary-social-parasites/

Also, Lasius umbratus has recently been proven not to exist in North America. The new name for these ants is Lasius aphidicolus.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

JakeM0816

Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:23 am

Thanks! Now that’s two new species I did not know existed this week, lol!
Founding:
3xTetramorium Immigrans
1xcamponatus Pennsylvanicus

Huntley GAN Farmer :D