Eggs Rotting?

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

idahoantgirl

Re: Eggs Rotting?

Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:23 am

There is nothing wrong at all. A month of egg to worker time is typical for Tetramorium Immigrans. The darker ones that look like curled up white ants are almost ready to eclose. Those black dots are their eyes. They will get a bit darker before that happens.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

idahoantgirl

Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:13 am

Nietvam wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:49 am
Thanks! Checked in last night and low and behold, I had 5 little niantics scurrying about the queen. Strangely enough I found them so adorable.

Will give them till the end of the week so that they can harden, and introduce the AC Portal with some honeydew surrogate.

Not sure which formicarium I will house them in yet, any suggestions from the ones available on AC.com?
They are cute :) You can introduce the portal now if you like. Then they have the option to forage now if they feel the need. I would suggest keeping the cotton plug in, but inserting an inch long piece of drinking straw between the cotton and the side of the tube, so it creates a cozy, small entrance into the portal.

I have kept this species for tow years now, and mine live in a lasius hybrid nest. I chose the lasius because I like the way it looks better than the tetramorium, but either would be perfect for this species. They are very hardy and have not had any trouble with the lasius nest. The 2.o nests look like a great deal and easier to clean than the old 3d printed versions. ( if you ever want to reuse the nest for another colony) Omni nests also work well for this species.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

AntsDakota

Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:48 pm

Nietvam wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:07 am
She’s been hatching for 3-4 weeks now, unfortunately I forget the date but was early Junne. Are her eggs rotting and not fertilized? Thought they would still hatch into males if they weren’t fertilized.

Those are actually pupae. The tiny ovals are eggs.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

AntsDakota

Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:51 pm

Nietvam wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:49 am
Thanks! Checked in last night and low and behold, I had 5 little niantics scurrying about the queen. Strangely enough I found them so adorable.

Will give them till the end of the week so that they can harden, and introduce the AC Portal with some honeydew surrogate.

Not sure which formicarium I will house them in yet, any suggestions from the ones available on AC.com?
Use the Tetramorium Hybrid nest, or any of the Omni nests. I ordered one myself for my Tetramorium colony with about 10 workers.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25