Lasius workers laying eggs

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

AntsDakota

Lasius workers laying eggs

Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:27 pm

I have a Lasius colony of which the queen escaped, and I have over 100 eggs, and the pile is growing. A worker must be laying eggs, and I hope they're fertilized, and I have a gamergate. Even if they aren't, I hope the workers survive until I can release the males into nuptial flight.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

Wardword

Re: Lasius workers laying eggs

Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:35 pm

AntsDakota wrote:
I have a Lasius colony of which the queen escaped, and I have over 100 eggs, and the pile is growing. A worker must be laying eggs, and I hope they're fertilized, and I have a gamergate. Even if they aren't, I hope the workers survive until I can release the males into nuptial flight.
What's happening is a last ditch effort to spread some genes, in this case the genes of their fathers.
These worker eggs will produce clones of their fathers, male alate ants only, they will raise them, send them off to breed and then die out.
Last edited by Wardword on Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AntsDakota

Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:37 pm

Wardword wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:35 pm
AntsDakota wrote:
What's happening is a last ditch efforts to spread some genes, in this case the genes of their fathers.
These worker eggs will produce clones of their fathers, male alate ants only, they will raise them, send them off to breed and then die out.
I figured that might be the case.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

antnest8

Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:22 pm

it may be that some of the eggs hatched into larvae witch are bigger than eggs
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

AntsDakota

Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:04 pm

antnest8 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:22 pm
it may be that some of the eggs hatched into larvae witch are bigger than eggs
All eggs have hatched into larvae making the pile much larger. Although I am pretty sure that the workers were laying more eggs.

Batspiderfish

Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:14 pm

Almost. Haploid eggs from workers and unfertilized queens will become males, but that genetic material can be drawn just as easily from the female's mother as with her father. With rare exceptions, there is nothing which distinguishes "male chromosomes" from "female chromosomes" in ants except for the number of copies.

Workers of many species will lay eggs in the absence of a queen.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.