Need advice on Species!

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

AntsIkhlef

Need advice on Species!

Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:12 pm

Sup guys! I live in Sweden and I have yet to found my first colony!
Altought I do have three queens, but I believe that they are Pheidole and are not present in Sweden :cry:

BUT! Formica fusca do exist here and as they usually have nuptial flight in July/August I wondered if they would be a choice for a first colony!
I believe that they don’t usually grow so large in numbers wich would be nice for a newbie like me! :D :D

Else I am open to any submissions of other starter ants that are present in Scandinavia ! :D
Beginner here!
I am new to this and I have just founded my first colonies! :geek:

Keeper of:

2x Lasius niger
1x Lasius neglectus/i]

🐜❤️4ever

FolloweroftheWay

Re: Need advice on Species!

Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:17 pm

Most of the time you just start with what you can find. You'll have a good time regardless.

M.
Solenopsis Richteri x 2
Lasius Neoniger x 2
Camponotus spp. x1
Wish List:

Monomorium pharaonis

AntsDakota

Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:56 pm

AntsIkhlef wrote:
Altought I do have three queens, but I believe that they are Pheidole and are not present in Sweden :cry:

BUT! Formica fusca do exist here and as they usually have nuptial flight in July/August I wondered if they would be a choice for a first colony!
I believe that they don’t usually grow so large in numbers wich would be nice for a newbie like me! :D :D

Else I am open to any submissions of other starter ants that are present in Scandinavia ! :D
Yes, Formica fusca is an excellent starter species. Some other starter species are Lasius niger and flavus, and Camponotus sp. Tetramorium caespitum are also great, but they grow ridiculously fast.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

AntsIkhlef

Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:26 am

AntsDakota wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:56 pm
AntsIkhlef wrote:

Yes, Formica fusca is an excellent starter species. Some other starter species are Lasius niger and flavus, and Camponotus sp. Tetramorium caespitum are also great, but they grow ridiculously fast.
Thanks! :D
Beginner here!
I am new to this and I have just founded my first colonies! :geek:

Keeper of:

2x Lasius niger
1x Lasius neglectus/i]

🐜❤️4ever