First ant queen

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

Volvka

First ant queen

Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:51 am

Hello all firstly im new to the forum but happy to finally be apart of the ant keeping community secondly im a new ant queen carer i accidentally found her whilst doing some yard work and it started this whole thing. i identified her as a camponotus herculeanus and she is in a test tube setup anyways my question or questions would be. is my ant species claustral or semi claustral ? i have read that camponotus species is fully claustral but is my species different? she has layed her first batch of eggs but shes also moving slowly is that an indicator of something or is she just conserving energy?. also any ant queen tips you guys have i would be happy to read!

AntsIkhlef

Re: First ant queen

Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:07 am

Volvka wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:51 am
Hello all firstly im new to the forum but happy to finally be apart of the ant keeping community secondly im a new ant queen carer i accidentally found her whilst doing some yard work and it started this whole thing. i identified her as a camponotus herculeanus and she is in a test tube setup anyways my question or questions would be. is my ant species claustral or semi claustral ? i have read that camponotus species is fully claustral but is my species different? she has layed her first batch of eggs but shes also moving slowly is that an indicator of something or is she just conserving energy?. also any ant queen tips you guys have i would be happy to read!
Well already, Camponotus is a very slow moving species and will really take their time. Normally it takes up to 2 years of keeping these ants to get to impressive numbers!
Beginner here!
I am new to this and I have just founded my first colonies! :geek:

Keeper of:

2x Lasius niger
1x Lasius neglectus/i]

🐜❤️4ever