Need help finding ants in Georgia

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

AntMan57

Need help finding ants in Georgia

Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:42 pm

I live in Northern Georgia and have been wonder what kind of ants are around here and when would be the best time to search for them. If any Georgia antkeepers could help me out I would really appreciate it.

AntDudeUSA

Re: Need help finding ants in Georgia

Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:20 pm

AntMan57 wrote:
I live in Northern Georgia and have been wonder what kind of ants are around here and when would be the best time to search for them. If any Georgia antkeepers could help me out I would really appreciate it.
Hello I'm from north Carolina but have been to Georgia a few times. ants I know for a fact that you have are camponotus . Pen and Camponotus . Herc along with solenopsis invicta(fire ant) and tetramorium. I think that the camponotus flights are over but solenopsis are flying along with tetramorium
Keeper of
x1 Camponotus Penslyvanicus
x1 Formica Subscerica
x1 Tetramorium Caespitum
x1 Solenopsis Invicta
x1 Pheidole sp
x1 Dorymyrmex Bureni

AntMan57

Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:24 pm

Do you know what time of day would be best for finding these ants? And are there any more species of ants your aware of.

AntMan57

Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:38 pm

AntDudeUSA wrote:
AntMan57 wrote:
Hello I'm from north Carolina but have been to Georgia a few times. ants I know for a fact that you have are camponotus . Pen and Camponotus . Herc along with solenopsis invicta(fire ant) and tetramorium. I think that the camponotus flights are over but solenopsis are flying along with tetramorium
Also what do you mean by Herc and pen

AntDudeUSA

Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:05 pm

AntMan57 wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:38 pm
AntDudeUSA wrote:
AntMan57 wrote:
Also what do you mean by Herc and pen
Camponotus penslyvanicus and Camponotus herculeanus
Keeper of
x1 Formica Subscerica
x1 Tetramorium Caespitum
x1 Solenopsis Invicta
x1 Pheidole sp
x1 Dorymyrmex Bureni

AntMan57

Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:11 pm

AntDudeUSA wrote:
AntMan57 wrote:
Do you know what time of day would be best for finding these ants? And are there any more species of ants your aware of.

AntDudeUSA

Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:37 pm

AntMan57 wrote:
AntDudeUSA wrote:
AntMan57 wrote:
Yes so I have caught and am currently raising a tetramorium and camponotus penslyvanicus colonies both of these ants were caught after a rainstorm on a sunny day that was about 70 - 80 degrees both were caught in the morning hours the camponotus was caught around 11:00am and the tetramorium was caught at 9:30am . where they were caught differs. The Camponotus was caught on a job site at a old house we were renovating that was forest area, she was caught running around in some fresh dirt looking for a place to build her new nest. The Tetramorium was caught in a city beside a doctors office on the sidewalk, now these two ants camponotus and tetramorium are very good beginner ants however they both may not be present in your area as the tetramorium ants love concrete and pavement in fact they are known as pavement ants because they love to build nests in the sidewalk. Camponotus are very active in the country were they build nests in fallen trees and rotten logs. the Camponotus queen is very easy to spot due to her massive size however the tetramorium queen along with other small ants are very easy to mistake for a normal ant and look over them the best thing to do before you go hunting is to look up pictures of the queens that you believe you will find in your area and familiarize yourself with their appearance so you will easily spot them. as of right now I'm not sure if camponotus are still flying or not (I caught mine in may) but I believe tetramorium are still flying as I caught mine june 5th some ants that are in Georgia are (Crematogastor,Formica,and lasius species are all in Georgia) I'm not sure when crematogastor have their nuptial flights but a species of formica we have in north Carolina ,Formica Subsericea, are having their nuptial flights right now and I managed to catch one however I'm not certain if you guys have that ant I would assume so. if you do not manage to catch a queen right now don't worry as later on in September and august other ants like lasius will begin flying and even in the winter prenelapis impairs or winter ants will fly some usually around labor day is when they are the most active. the best thing is to never give up you will find a queen ant if you are patient most of the time in very unexpected places. try to always carry some type of container with you if you go out on a walk hike or even to work . one ant that I'm positive is flying right now is Solenopsis invicta and I know Georgia has them they are fire ants you can catch a lot of their queens right now but they are a fast growing aggressive species and aren't recommended for a first ant colony
Keeper of
x1 Formica Subscerica
x1 Tetramorium Caespitum
x1 Solenopsis Invicta
x1 Pheidole sp
x1 Dorymyrmex Bureni

AntMan57

Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:15 pm

AntDudeUSA wrote:
AntMan57 wrote:
AntDudeUSA wrote:

Yes so I have caught and am currently raising a tetramorium and camponotus penslyvanicus colonies both of these ants were caught after a rainstorm on a sunny day that was about 70 - 80 degrees both were caught in the morning hours the camponotus was caught around 11:00am and the tetramorium was caught at 9:30am . where they were caught differs. The Camponotus was caught on a job site at a old house we were renovating that was forest area, she was caught running around in some fresh dirt looking for a place to build her new nest. The Tetramorium was caught in a city beside a doctors office on the sidewalk, now these two ants camponotus and tetramorium are very good beginner ants however they both may not be present in your area as the tetramorium ants love concrete and pavement in fact they are known as pavement ants because they love to build nests in the sidewalk. Camponotus are very active in the country were they build nests in fallen trees and rotten logs. the Camponotus queen is very easy to spot due to her massive size however the tetramorium queen along with other small ants are very easy to mistake for a normal ant and look over them the best thing to do before you go hunting is to look up pictures of the queens that you believe you will find in your area and familiarize yourself with their appearance so you will easily spot them. as of right now I'm not sure if camponotus are still flying or not (I caught mine in may) but I believe tetramorium are still flying as I caught mine june 5th some ants that are in Georgia are (Crematogastor,Formica,and lasius species are all in Georgia) I'm not sure when crematogastor have their nuptial flights but a species of formica we have in north Carolina ,Formica Subsericea, are having their nuptial flights right now and I managed to catch one however I'm not certain if you guys have that ant I would assume so. if you do not manage to catch a queen right now don't worry as later on in September and august other ants like lasius will begin flying and even in the winter prenelapis impairs or winter ants will fly some usually around labor day is when they are the most active. the best thing is to never give up you will find a queen ant if you are patient most of the time in very unexpected places. try to always carry some type of container with you if you go out on a walk hike or even to work . one ant that I'm positive is flying right now is Solenopsis invicta and I know Georgia has them they are fire ants you can catch a lot of their queens right now but they are a fast growing aggressive species and aren't recommended for a first ant colony
So where would you recommend I look for oher types of ants such as the Formica and Crematogaster. I know there are Solenopsis invicta because I almost managed to catch a queen of one but it got away. Also I should check after rainfall right and early morning. There is a large park close to me so I'll check there tommorrow just wanting to know where to look for these ants.

AntDudeUSA

Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:19 pm

AntMan57 wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:15 pm
AntDudeUSA wrote:
AntMan57 wrote:

So where would you recommend I look for oher types of ants such as the Formica and Crematogaster. I know there are Solenopsis invicta because I almost managed to catch a queen of one but it got away. Also I should check after rainfall right and early morning. There is a large park close to me so I'll check there tommorrow just wanting to know where to look for these ants.
Hello I hope this gets to you in time underneath fallen trees and on or around concrete or pavement are very good places turning over fallen branches is another good place to look
Keeper of
x1 Formica Subscerica
x1 Tetramorium Caespitum
x1 Solenopsis Invicta
x1 Pheidole sp
x1 Dorymyrmex Bureni

AntDudeUSA

Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:12 pm

I hope you find a queen good luck I forgot to mention that some Formica species will build shallow nests in the ground they look like just small sand piles but if you step on them or disturb them they will come out in the hundreds :lol: try looking under some sheds aswell some queens prefer shaded areas instead of direct sunlight
Keeper of
x1 Formica Subscerica
x1 Tetramorium Caespitum
x1 Solenopsis Invicta
x1 Pheidole sp
x1 Dorymyrmex Bureni