AntDudeUSA

Re: Insects that your ants can eat in your backyard

Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:06 pm

Hollister wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:00 pm
AntDudeUSA wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:42 pm
If I may ask what type of ant do you keep
I keep a solenopsis. I'm not sure where it originated from but its most likely and imported one because I'm in Texas.
Nice I'm not sure what type it could be either due to my lack of knowledge of Texan ants they grow really fast which is a plus only two things to be careful of 1:they sting 2:solenopsis are escape artists so be careful and stay ontop of them
Two names to look up though to see which specie it could be are
1:Solenopsis Invicta
2:Solenopsis Geminata
1 because they are he RIFA ants that spread like crazy and are everywhere in the south and 2 because they seem to be the most common native fire ant in texas
Keeper of
x1 Camponotus Penslyvanicus
x1 Formica Subscerica
x1 Tetramorium Caespitum
x1 Solenopsis Invicta
x1 Pheidole sp
x1 Dorymyrmex Bureni

Hollister

Re: Insects that your ants can eat in your backyard

Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:14 pm

AntDudeUSA wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:06 pm
Hollister wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:00 pm
AntDudeUSA wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:42 pm
If I may ask what type of ant do you keep
I keep a solenopsis. I'm not sure where it originated from but its most likely and imported one because I'm in Texas.
Nice I'm not sure what type it could be either due to my lack of knowledge of Texan ants they grow really fast which is a plus only two things to be careful of 1:they sting 2:solenopsis are escape artists so be careful and stay ontop of them
Two names to look up though to see which specie it could be are
1:Solenopsis Invicta
2:Solenopsis Geminata
1 because they are he RIFA ants that spread like crazy and are everywhere in the south and 2 because they seem to be the most common native fire ant in texas
Yeah I'm going to put rubbing alcohol and a baby powder mixture on the top, and I'm going to try not to touch them at all. I think they may be solenoasis invicta because when I was researching they said it was the most common fire ant in Texas