should I feed my newly caught lasius neoniger queen?

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

idahoantgirl

should I feed my newly caught lasius neoniger queen?

Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:49 pm

So I caught a lasius neoniger queen on the ninth, but I'm not sure whether or not to give her a little drop of honey yet, or to wait until I put her into hibernation. I'm concerned that I may be starving her! No signs of it, but I want to do what it best for her. She is fully claustral, but she won't lay eggs until next year. She is also missing one of her antennas. Will this make it harder for her to eat?
Thanks a lot!
idahoantgirl
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

GriffinAnt

Re: should I feed my newly caught lasius neoniger queen?

Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:59 pm

as long as she is in a test tube with sugar water she will be just fine. check on her every 2 weeks. not sure when the hybernation period is but for us in the uk with native speies its end of this mth

NewAntLoverz

Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:57 am

Yo! I posted another topic and I'm trying to find a queen ant. I live in the city near Los Angeles and wen't on a walk yesterday and didn't find one. Where did you find yours?

GriffinAnt

Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:07 am

well iam in the uk and have like 7 nests in my front patio, and caught some this years nuptail flight. which due to some mishaps all 6 died. but still have a lisus niger queen and 1 worker( used to be 6 yet another acident) and a messor barbarus queen with several eggs.

idahoantgirl

Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:59 pm

NewAntLoverz wrote:Yo! I posted another topic and I'm trying to find a queen ant. I live in the city near Los Angeles and wen't on a walk yesterday and didn't find one. Where did you find yours?
Actually, believe it or not, it landed on my friends shoulder. I was in a grassy area sitting right by a sidewalk. There was a dried out grassy field across the road and subdivisions nearby. Your best bet is to stick with sidewalks. Since sidewalks are white, it is easy to spot dark colored queens. They also like to be around streams and lakes. Definitely check after it has rained. They like to have nuptual flights after it has rained. They usually have them at around 5 o clock, but I caught mine at 7:30 ish. Oh, and don't bother looking if it's very hot out. there won't be any queens out if it's very hot because they will just curl up and die on the cement. :cry:
Anyways, I hope this helps, and happy queen hunting!

It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,

idahoantgirl

Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:01 pm

GriffinAnt wrote:well iam in the uk and have like 7 nests in my front patio, and caught some this years nuptail flight. which due to some mishaps all 6 died. but still have a lisus niger queen and 1 worker( used to be 6 yet another acident) and a messor barbarus queen with several eggs.
Too bad about all the deaths. I'm glad you still have a few colonies left though! Good luck!

It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,

Gregory2455

Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:20 pm

It never hurts to feed them just make sure its a little speck that she cannot drown in.

Ants4fun

Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:49 am

Don't substitute auger water for water in a test tube. It will make it moldy. Plus, she sometimes just needs water.